Level Up: Chapter IX

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Level Up: Chapter IX

Postby Eliahad » Mon May 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Because I've been using the Dexterity Power Attack feat, I will be getting +2/+1 to damage instead of an additional attack bonus, but that brings me up to +6/+3 per attack, and my attack rolls are still going to be +14/+11/+14/+11. Dothan singing and Haste will help this a lot. I /do/ get an extra +1 AC when I attack with both weapons though, so that will be good (AC 24!).

I'm starting down the Improved Critical Tree!!!!!!! HOORAY! Improved Critical! My threat range is now 17-20 with my short swords. My patience has paid off! And then next level I can get Critical Focus for a +4 to confirm critical attacks. Wheee!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon May 23, 2016 7:52 pm

I've always been fond of the idea of a pirate type with dual cutlasses, Improved Crit, Crit Focus, Bleeding Crit, plus all the two weapon feats. Basically, every third shot will be a crit with double damage +2d6 bleed.

Illian is not quite so bloody, but the idea is the same. I dig it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm

OK... I have three feats I am trying to decide between:

: When making a charge or using Spring Attack against an opponent who is flat-footed or helpless, you treat your first melee attack against that target as if you had the Improved Critical feat.

: You are considered to be flanking an opponent if at least two of your allies are threatening that opponent, regardless of your actual positioning.

: When you use the full-attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your highest base attack bonus against each opponent within reach. You must make a separate attack roll against each opponent.

When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities.

Any opinions?
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon May 23, 2016 11:29 pm

Jaguar Pounce feels like half a feat... you get what is normally a feat, but only in limited situations.

Whirlwind would not be useful often enough, IMO.

Gang Up seems best of these.

Also, I remember a feat that allows you to use inanimate terrain features to get flanking. Pin them against a wall or tree or something.

Anything that gets you more sneak attacks, as far as I'm concerned.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue May 24, 2016 9:41 am

Isn't there a team version of a flanking feat?

Whirlwind Attack might be good someday for Dwyn because of the reach weapon.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue May 24, 2016 3:25 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue May 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Ok, let's keep that in mind for the future. I might be interested in something like that too.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed May 25, 2016 12:01 pm

I really think that Blades Above and Below would be a great choice for Dwyn and Illian, or really any of us and Illian! It also gives Illian the chance to use sneak attack any time there is someone else fighting the same person, and, by extension, would let me get a sneak attack any time I use Spring Attack to dart in and hit, since the opponent would be flanked. (via Gang Up.) Definitely something to put on our 'to do' list.

I'm having issues with my spell list spreadsheet... It seems to be tossing in Invisibility instead of my Bloodline spell, Defensive Shock... I may just have to build it by hand. It isn't that many spells and I can at least get the page out of the program and just swap out the data for the spell that should be there when I make the character sheet... sigh...

Unless someone has a good spreadsheet that actually works?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 25, 2016 12:08 pm

I do all my builds by hand. The automatic sheets always wind up pissing me off.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed May 25, 2016 12:12 pm

I think I need to take improved critical this time around as that will outpace my sneak attack damage by orders of magnitude. But, next level, or the next time I get a regular feat, getting the flanking attack bonus from blades above and below will aid in the confirmation of criticals almost as much as critical focus. So, Dwyn and Kai, if you're up for it, we can get that the next go around...
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Teamwork feats are such a whole other level of commitment. Like getting a tattoo of your girlfriend's name.

Of course, you can always retrain feats if things don't work out. (And for that matter, Remove Tattoo is only a 1st level spell.)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Sarcasm aside... I think Blades Above and Below is a pretty sweet choice.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed May 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Jeeze Dothan! I didn't KNOW you were going to get Kay's name tattooed on your... oh... nevermind...
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri May 27, 2016 1:51 pm

So it seems clear that Craft Magic Items and Armor should be my 9th level feat, but I also gain an exploit at this level, and im having trouble deciding:

Counterspell - complicated, but basically I can spend a point and a spell slot 1 higher than the spell being cast to counter it with a dispel check. If its a spell I can cast, its the same level spell slot and I get a +5 bonus to the dispel check.
Shadow Veil - gain concealment
Familiar - gain a familiar
Metamixing - add a metamagic feat to a spell without increasing casting time

Not taking one now doesnt mean I cant choose it later.

I'm pretty much split 50/50 between metamixing and counterspell

Thoughts?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat May 28, 2016 3:28 am

How will we be keeping the lamia from using dimension door or teleport during the upcoming battle? If we don't have some sort of dimensional anchor or a spell to keep her from doing that, and we're counting on you counterspelling her any time she tries, then it's probably best if you take Counterspell. But if we have other means of keeping her from getting away, then what direction do you want to take your character?
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat May 28, 2016 9:34 am

Okay. We can also lean towards trying to break her concentration while she's casting if we dont have counterspells available.

I hopefully can try to stop her casting dimension door... if she goes for a teleport, we're SOL from a counterspell perspective.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 am

I have disruption already, so I'll make it a point of getting close to her to keep her from casting...
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat May 28, 2016 11:41 am

Is this the same as the Disruptive feat or is it a spell? I considered the feat but I'm not sure it helps me as much as other choices, and I can't get an AoO from a teleport in my threatened zone until I'm higher level.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun May 29, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm on the counter spell side.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sun May 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Return to “Runelords”