TL;DR Dwyn Stories

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

TL;DR Dwyn Stories

Postby Elle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Although Dwyn had rested and her wounds had healed, her injured hip still felt sore during the long walk through the swampy woods. Doubtless it was all in her mind, but nonetheless the painful sensation lingered.

The entire plan to track down the wayward captain of the Black Arrows had left her feeling uneasy and irritated. Dwyn understood why it was important to the Troubleshooters. After all, locating the missing commander was the last piece of the “what happened to the Fort?” puzzle. Then they could return to Magnimar with sad news but a task completed.

Except - no! They couldn’t very well abandon the place yet. Black Magga was still on the loose, the horrid Snake Lady was still on the loose, Fort Rannick was still vulnerable to attack, the Dam was still vulnerable to collapse, and therefore all the innocent residents of Turtleback Ferry were still in imminent danger. Sure, the mayor hadn't hired the Troubleshooters to protect the town, but Dwyn couldn’t bear to think of all those people and the kindly old priest being left to their own devices in this situation. She hadn’t even seen Ki Xa in ages – at least, it felt like ages! And if it had been a long time since she had seen her horse, well, it was even longer since she had seen others…

Nevertheless, here she was, tracking down some lovelorn turncoat who had abandoned his post just when his troops needed him most. The swamp was creepy, Yap was creepier, the ghost ship was creepier still, and Myriana was creepiest of all. Of course Dothan had been swept up in the tragic romance – she loved a good story, and this had all the makings of one – but why did the Troubleshooters have to promise Myriana anything? What did she really want, this murky and mysterious creature, and could she be trusted? Dwyn was ready to be done with strange forests and their inhabitants. She never thought the day would come when she was longing to be back in a town, of all places, but Sandpoint, Turtleback Ferry, and even Magnimar would be wonderful in comparison to a haunted swamp. Why couldn’t anyone else see that something was wrong with the very trees, not to mention everything else in the place?

The climb up Hook Mountain aggravated her hip again, even though she couldn’t find anything medically wrong with it. Every step forward felt like a step farther away from home. She wondered how long Lamatar been gone before Myriana started to despair. And then, how long had she herself been gone on this expedition, anyway? A month? No, not quite yet. Nearly four weeks? It seemed much longer and she was so tired. Would anyone be worrying because she wasn’t back yet?

Maybe she was distracted by her worries when the whole party finally met the Hill Giant and his “friends” on the mountain. Once more she allowed her opponent a slight opening and paid the price with a huge gash in her side. The Giant paid a far steeper price for his trouble – she made sure of that – and the Troubleshooters made quick work of the ogres inside the mountain. Yet Dwyn felt disoriented and anxious even after her wounds had been healed. Where was the Snake, and would she get away again this time? What were these horrid witches capable of? She had the sense something bigger was going on but couldn’t quite put a finger on it. Not only had the ogres invaded Fort Rannick, but now they were making a bunch of weapons up here. For whom, and why? What were a bunch of hags and giants and ogres doing together in the mountain in the first place? Did they set Black Magga loose into the river on purpose? And what was with that giant statue? Did they build this place themselves or was it like the dam – or even like Thistletop – resting on the smoldering remnants of some ancient evil?
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: TL;DR Dwyn Stories

Postby Elle » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Weeks passed without any sign of Dwyn or word from Dwyn. It was Neth, and then it was Sunday, and once again Kjell took his post by the Lodge door. He looked over at the bench where Dwyn had been sitting last month, as if by looking he could make her appear there again. He watched Father Fendus’ mouth moving as the service dragged on; his ears heard the sound of words. And then he walked his patrol route and went straight home.

Once again his mother wasn’t expected back until suppertime. He was glad she had been so distracted by Mrs. Rast and the wedding, even though he suspected she didn’t truly like Mrs. Rast or her daughters all that much. She was out of the house, sewing dresses and throwing herself into something other than worrying about Kjell. And that left Kjell free to stay at home alone and worry about Dwyn.

If nothing was wrong at the Fort, surely she would have been there and back by now. She wouldn’t return to Magnimar without showing up at the Lodge – he felt certain of that, at least. Even if she had forgotten about him or it had all meant nothing, she would have gone to Sunday services. The Mayor himself probably would have announced something – the continued success of operations in the East, perhaps, or some threat diverted. Yet no word came and there was no news of Fort Rannick or even the towns upriver. Couldn’t she have sent a letter? Weren’t messengers traveling back and forth once in a while, not to mention barges coming down the river with goods and a mailbag?

If she hadn’t sent a letter and she wasn’t back yet, something must be wrong. Kjell felt the same heavy sense of foreboding he had felt many times since Dwyn left. He tried to sleep but woke in an uncomfortable sweat, having dreamt about a large snake slithering down a hole. Usually he prayed for her safety at such times but today he felt inexplicably angry. “I’m so sick of it!” he muttered. “I don’t want to think about this stuff anymore. Probably she’s never coming back, so why should I sit here thinking about it?” He threw his cloak and bow back on and stomped down into the street, wandering east until he reached the shore. “Maybe if we’d had more time… maybe she wouldn’t have wanted to leave. Or maybe I could have gone with her. But it was too soon. We barely knew each other.” He sat on a post near the docks, not minding the cold wind, watching the boats coming back in before sunset.

Fireday the 6th of Neth was the first day of Marget Rast’s wedding – the first one where lots of guests were invited, anyway, though other events had been going on all week. Weddings were no small matter in the church of Erastil. The whole gory affair wouldn’t be over until Sunday. Kjell’s mother had been busy all day helping prepare the feast while Kjell was training with the Archers. He wasn’t interested in anything Rone had to say today; Rone needed to mind his own business and keep mouth shut.

Dinnertime couldn’t come soon enough and for a short time Kjell was blissfully occupied by nothing but food. Even Bekka and her friends did nothing to dampen his enthusiasm when they joined the table. At least Bekka didn’t rattle on as much as those other girls did, and she got him another bowl of stew without even being asked. He could tell she was hoping he would dance with her when the performances began – the bride’s family and groom’s family spent the evening trying to impress one another with their talents, musical and otherwise, though in most cases “talent” was far from the proper description – but Kjell managed to avoid her pointed glances and instead drank far too much ale. Later he got into an actual fistfight with one of the guys from the Dome who was hanging around the park, and Evan and Rone had to walk him back home and deposit him in bed. The room was spinning crazily.

In his dreams he had blown up to the size of a giant and, as he laid in bed, was being struck repeatedly by a tiny man wielding a club. It was surprisingly painful, particularly on the forehead.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm

The wedding had demanded a great deal of awkward, uncomfortable dancing and Kjell was no dancer, either by nature or inclination. The wedding meals and musicians were excellent and his mother seemed more relaxed and happy than she had in months. But the ridiculous expectations created by the smallest actions on his part were becoming an irritation. Kjell had consulted Father Fendus and was trying to convince himself it wasn't Bekka's fault that everyone had begun treating them as if they were a couple. He did nothing to encourage this. Nevertheless, he wouldn't treat Bekka discourteously simply to avoid gossip.

The constant preoccupation of his mind was whether Dwyn had survived the trip to Fort Rannick. After a month with no word, Kjell was assuming the worst, but on Sunday his prayers were finally answered. As usual he had arrived at the Lodge well before dawn to help prepare for the day's services. Fendus pulled him aside after the meeting of the Temple Archers.

"I've had a message from Dwyn. It came in a dream just before I woke - I don't know the Priestess who sent it but the vision was suffused with light and kindness. She warned of a possible attack on Sandpoint. I gather the group had been fighting ogres and that they plan to return soon."

Kjell stared open-mouthed, unable to conceal his reaction. "What else? Are they okay? Is she... "

"Yes! They're safe, for now. But they warned us about a dragon attacking Sandpoint - it doesn't sound like their mission is over yet. At the end, Dwyn said 'Hi!'"

"Hi?" Kjell repeated.

"Well, technically the Priestess said it. "Hi from Dwyn" - that's the message!" Fendus smiled and clapped his hand on Kjell's back. "See? Everything's okay. Now, this talk of a dragon is something else. Not sure what to make of that - we don't have dragon attacks around here. Maybe I didn't understand correctly. But we can send a warning to Father Zantus at the Sandpoint cathedral, just in case."

Kjell nodded slowly. "Hi. And... a dragon?"

"Yes. Well, let's get on with our business, son," he said briskly. "Whatever it is, if she needs our help she'll be back." The priest tried to hurry Kjell along the hallway but he was no longer paying attention, so Fendus sighed and walked on. "One person's troubles have arrived; those of another are on the way," he muttered.

Kjell made his way out to the yard like a zombie and adjusted his jacket. The cold morning wind sent a shiver through him as he headed for the Park. "What did that mean?" he thought to himself. "A dragon attacking?! How can she be safe if a dragon is attacking? And won't they be in Sandpoint now? Should I go there?" For a moment he thought of running home to pack a bag and head out on the road, but quickly realized he couldn't leave his mother alone in the city, especially if danger was involved. And he certainly couldn't take her along with him.

"Hi from Dwyn. What does "Hi" mean? After a month of nothing, no word at all, now suddenly she says "Hi?" Is that it?" He paced along, not paying any attention to the people headed past him to the morning service.

Kjell didn't know what to make of it. Yes, she was alive - an incredible relief! But it didn't sound like she was coming back any time soon. If Fendus was right, she was about to get herself killed by a dragon! How could they be going on with morning services at the Lodge like nothing was happening, when a terrible threat might be approaching? Shouldn't they be sending people over to help the little town? Or at least preparing supplies? But if Dwyn had wanted his help, surely she would have said so. All she had to say was "Hi." That meant... nothing! Hi? Kjell didn't sleep well that night and was feeling particularly lousy by Moonday morning.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:09 am

"I can tell something's wrong," Bekka said as they walked up the hill toward the Park early Moonday morning. "You don't have to tell me, but I know you're upset. Is it... your mom? I know she doesn't like me that much, but I'm trying, I really am!"

Kjell shook his head. He just wanted to get to morning target practice. He picked up the pace, eager to drop Bekka off at the house where she worked. He preferred to be alone in the mornings but wasn't sure how to extricate himself from these walks. Once Bekka had realized they were going in the same direction each day, she had suggested they go together. She wasn’t wrong to ask - Magnimar’s streets weren’t entirely safe before daylight. What’s more, these were his official duties, to help take care of the parishioners and secure the neighborhood. Still, it meant talking.

"Okay, if it's not your mom, is it Rone? What did he do this time?" She glanced at his face quickly and went silent for a moment. Should she even ask? She wasn't sure she really wanted to know, but she had to find out. "Um, is it that girl... you know, the one who visited the temple a while ago?" Another glance gave her the answer.

"Well, what happened? Is she okay? Is she... here again, in the city?"

Kjell shook his head. "No. They sent a message to Father Fendus. They fought ogres..." Bekka gasped audibly. Kjell wasn't sure he ought to make the rest of the message public. No sense making people panic when they weren't sure what the part about the dragon meant. "They fought ogres and are coming back. Maybe. Or back to Sandpoint? I don't know." Kjell shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant.

"Oh." They had almost reached the house. "Well, that's amazing - fighting ogres! Can you imagine? Maybe it doesn't seem like much to you Archers - you're always training for things like that."

Kjell shrugged again. “More like to stop pickpockets and gambling in the park,” he sighed. “We’ve never faced anything like an ogre. Anyway, I’m going to be late,” he said, turning quickly up the street as she went in the gate.

“Will I see you later?” she called tentatively, but he kept walking.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:22 am

Quit being so compelling. I don't have time for this.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:09 pm

But... but... this is where Dothan comes in! [And thanks Mike and Zen for sending me some quotes to use in the story!]

At first the Troubleshooters seemed mildly amused by Dwyn's pacing. This is what happens when you trap someone used to running every day on a boat. After a few days it was simply annoying. In the mornings she would clean up after Ki Xa and the other horses, wolf down breakfast, and then spend hours circling the entirety of the boat, looking for any sign of interesting life on the shore. She was fascinated by the towns they passed and waved wildly to anyone they saw. On Wealday a group of older kids ran along the riverbank, waving and shouting, trying to keep up with the boat's passage while Dwyn tried to hurl biscuits all the way across the water. Finally Eldthor had to remind her that they only had so many supplies onboard.

Illian and Carbohal tried to distract her with a little swordfighting and, true enough, it was fun to practice for a change instead of having to kill things for real. She used Halifax's old ringed sword, since the barge didn't have much free space to swing Lucille around in, and she needed to practice with a different weapon. It took time to get used to the particular balance of a weapon, and you never knew when a sword might come in handy again.

The daily pacing grew even worse when Samadriel started doing her Sendings. The first one had to be to the Mayor. Dwyn understood why. She had to be patient. Alma was next, and Dwyn didn't want to say so even to her friends, but she had more faith in her cousin to alert the important people in town than she did in Sheriff Hemlock or Mayor Deverin. After all, Alma's son had been the Sheriff before the Chopper had murdered him, so Alma knew exactly who could be asked for help, and nearly everyone visited her bakery regularly. People trusted her in a way they didn't necessarily trust others - they could depend on her for information. And Alma would trust that if Dwyn was warning of a dragon, she meant it. Dwyn wouldn't do that idly.

After Alma's Sending, Dwyn had to wait even longer before Sam was able to contact Father Fendus at the Deadeye Lodge. The poor elf did need her sleep once in a while, and she did have other spells that needed praying over, especially in case Black Magga should make a surprise appearance. From Dwyn's perspective, she walked around all day because she didn't want to be caught off guard if that monster decided to smash the boat! But they never did see Magga, and eventually Dwyn paced restlessly because she wasn't sure what message should be sent to Fendus. Should she mention Kjell directly? Should she tell all that had happened? The message had to be brief and clear. After long deliberation, by the end of which all the rest of the Troubleshooters were well and truly sick of Dwyn's footsteps thumping across the deck, she settled on just the right thing: "Hi from Dwyn." That summed everything up and had the right happy, relaxed tone, she thought, quite pleased with herself for coming up with it.

That message went out in the wee hours on Sunday, and that evening the barge's captain said they would reach Magnimar by morning. Dwyn thanked Samadriel profusely for all her help with communications, went straight to bed, and then woke before sunrise. She kept thinking she could see faint outlines of the docks, as the river gradually widened, but by the time they actually came into view she was distracted by talking to Kay.

"Okay, I want to head straight back to the same place we found Lucille. I don't know if that guy has armor, but if he doesn't I bet he can tell us where to find what I want, and fast! We don't need many other provisions - we can refill everything else once we get to Sandpoint. But what about arrows? Are there certain kinds of arrows that might hurt a dragon?"

Kay and Eldthor looked through her remaining arrows and gave their advice. Thor asked if any of Dwyn's friends from the Lodge might be convinced to help defend Sandpoint, and Kay wondered if she would be stopping there.

"I don't know," Dwyn said anxiously. "I don't want to waste a moment getting back, and they have their own job to do."

Eldthor assured her it would take a while for everyone to find their new weapons and armor, and for Dothan and him to visit the Mayor and explain all that had happened at the Fort. Sam and Anna were willing to head for Sandpoint as soon as Dwyn was ready, but Dothan had little trouble convincing Dwyn that the Troubleshooters would be much better prepared to face a dragon, or any other threat, if they were better armed and sticking together. Dwyn stood impatiently with Ki Xa while the boat was secured at the dock, and as soon as the gate was lowered she jumped out and mounted the horse, waiting for everyone else to get assembled.

Finally they were off to the armorer's, and he did indeed have masterwork half-plate just as Dwyn was hoping. She needed something much more heavy-duty if they were going to be fighting things like Stone Giants. At first she was worried that the narrow suit the man brought out wouldn't fit, but it latched right on to her body like a second skin. "Magically enhanced - and powerfully so," murmured Kay. "This is good." Dwyn didn't need to try on anything else, but the man was only willing to give 400 GP for her breastplate in the deal.

Dwyn stammered a bit and turned back to Kay. "You're right," Kay whispered, "it's worth well more than 400. Don't be afraid to tell him." Dwyn nodded resolutely but wasn't able to come up with anything to say, so Dothan whispered into her other ear. "It's worth well more than that--a quality piece with such a storied history. Go ahead - say that." She smiled encouragingly at both Dwyn and the shopkeeper, who smiled back. It was hard to look at a smiling Dothan and not return the expression.

"Well, sir," Dwyn began, "this armor has a lot of quality stories in it. And... and I know it's more than 400." The man didn't answer, but simply pulled out a cloth to shine up the half-plate.

Dwyn huddled up with Dothan again. "What now?"

"Okay," whispered Dothan. "Tell him this..." but when she saw Dwyn's furrowed brow she decided to simply handle it herself. Approaching the counter with the same winning smile, she began, "Sir, we are in Magnimar often, and we have found that we will be in regular need of an honest armorer whom we can trust - and Dwyn here has purchased her war hammer from you already. Certainly the breastplate is worth 700 to you. You can get twice that for it." She smiled brightly again and the man relented. "Fine, I can do... 675. Now, what were the stories you mentioned?"

Dwyn quickly slipped out of Nualia's old armor while Dothan gave the man a thumbnail version of the fight at Thistletop, and he grinned, knowing it would make a great pitch to the next customer.

Dwyn needed Kay's help to get securely into the half-plate - both she and Dothan had agreed to help Dwyn don her armor going forward, as it took a few minutes even with help. Dwyn thanked them for getting the right price in the shop, and they magically transformed the new armor to bear the same elk-colors that had improved Nualia's breastplate before - deepest brown on all the joints, fading to a soft golden beige everywhere else. It looked natural, not so much like cold metal.

"Okay then, I'm off to lunch while you see the Mayor," she called, untying Ki Xa's rope. She hoped he didn't mind the sudden extra weight of her armor. "Let's hurry - maybe we can leave for Sandpoint before nightfall!"

"Whoa, there! Dwyn... wait up!" called Kay. "I know you want to see your friends but... Don't you think you should freshen up a bit first? How about if you let Dothan and I do your hair up before you go see ... the guys at the lodge. I bet they would be really surprised!"

Dwyn frowned. She hadn't considered that before and the situation wasn't promising. After a week's travel on the river, cleaning up after the horses, her braids looked rather like the straw in the stables. And frankly, she didn't smell very nice. "Okay," she said reluctantly, dismounting the horse. "But let's hurry. I don't have my mirror on me to see what you're doing, so keep it simple, eh? Braids. Or a plain bun."

Kay and Dothan exchanged a look. After a few minutes of prestidigitation Dwyn was all freshened up, in her gleaming new suit of armor, with an enormous mass of ringlets and little pastel-tinged braids worthy of a bridesmaid piled high upon her head. "It looks like normal, right?" she asked, unable to feel her own head without removing her thick gloves. They nodded happily. "You look fine. See you in a few hours - we'll meet outside the Mayor's."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:40 pm

I said NOT compelling, damn you.

But seriously... this is soooooo good.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Dude I cannot believe you did that to my hair and then sent me off not knowing. :horrified:
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:21 pm

You just would have said no. Trust me, this is better.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:32 am

Dwyn wasn’t sure whether she should stop for lunch or head straight for the Lodge. On Moonday the Archers might be out patrolling. When she reached the Keystone district she saw a corner stand where a man was selling rolls stuffed with crabmeat and cream cheese. “‘Decide after breakfast’, like the Parable says,” she thought.

Everyone in line stared at her, as did the people eating their lunches. “Guess they’re not used to seeing folks run around in full armor here in the city,” she concluded. “At least I’m not wearing the helm!” She ate one of the rolls quickly and took another along to eat on horseback. With a great snort, Ki Xa made known his distaste for the smell.

The Lodge looked fairly deserted. After tying Ki Xa and getting him some water, she greeted the two white-robed priestesses at the entrance. They smiled and appeared to recognize her, but one said only, “Father is in study now. He’ll be done soon.”

Dwyn took a seat in one of the pews and watched the dappled patterns of noonday sun sway gently on the floor. “Elk Father,” she began her prayer, “thank you for bringing us all back safely from the mountains. And watch over the soul of the girl who died in Turtleback Ferry. I can’t help thinking if we had been there, we might have saved her. But I know you needed us to stop the lamia and the giants. I just hope we can stop whatever might be headed to Sandpoint. I’ve never even seen a dragon! I’ll admit, I’m scared. For everyone in the town, and for me and my friends too. But I know with your steady guidance we can defeat this evil.”

She paused and was silent for a while. “Thank you for letting me defeat the lamia, Great Father. I know it was your purpose for me – I could feel it. I’m only sorry I couldn’t get the job done the first time we tried, or before they defiled your beautiful chapel in the Fort. Now that she’s gone, what happens next? We’re going to Sandpoint. Is that where you want me to stay – maybe forever? Maybe my job is to guard the town like my cousin before me, rest his soul. A few months ago I was sure you wanted me to leave Sandpoint and serve you in some other way. And we did leave, and we were needed. Is all of that over now?”

Dwyn had an uneasy feeling, as if everything they had done would be for naught if the journey came to an end here and she had to retire back to a quiet life in Sandpoint. Could she go back to the bakery after this? Should she go back home to the farm, now that she had plenty of money to support them? She wished she had some kind of sign, something to show the right path.

After a few more minutes, Fendus emerged from the hallway and joined Dwyn in the sanctuary. “My dear!” he exclaimed, grabbing her into a hug, “I received your message. We’re so glad to hear you’ve returned safely.”

“Thanks, it’s good to be back!” Dwyn replied. “Never thought I’d be so happy to see the big city. But we fought ogres up in the mountains, and killed another lamia – all kinds of undead creatures, and, well, it would take hours to tell everything. But here’s the thing: we found a note in the pocket of a giant we fought. He was with the snake. It sounded like some group of them were going to make an attack on Sandpoint soon – maybe with a dragon!”

Fendus shook his head, confused. “I believe you, but it seems so unlikely – a dragon? In Sandpoint of all places? Why?”

“I don’t know,” Dwyn said, “we don’t know when it might happen or even if it will, since we killed those giants. But we have to be ready. We have to help the town prepare. I want to leave tonight, or right now, but my friends need time to gather supplies. They’re talking to the Mayor right now. Father, this isn’t a secret, and I’m not asking you to hide it, but I don’t want to scare people over a note we found. Know what I mean?”

“Of course my dear,” Fendus assured her, taking her hand. “I plan to send a message to Father Zantus, and I’ll warn some others here, but only those with discretion. I told Kjell about it already – he’s out right now, down to the south gate. I didn’t know the Priestess who reached me – was she from the mountains too?”

“She’s one of our group now, actually,” explained Dwyn. “Her name is Samadriel, and she’s a great healer. I hope you can meet her someday, but right now we need to hurry. I probably won’t have time to come back today,” she added, with an inadvertent glance at the door.

Fendus got up and thanked her for coming. “I understand, you should go now. Come back again once you know the town is safe, and may His blessings keep you, child.”

On her way down the road, Dwyn rode past Rone and another man carrying a longbow whom she didn’t recognize. Rone didn’t recognize her at first either. He stared for a moment as she went by, and then shouted “Hey! Dwyn! Is that you?” By then she was far enough past that he assumed she couldn’t hear him.

She rode all the way to the south gate, looking up and down the side streets for any sign of a patrol of Temple Archers. The guards at the gate said they had seen some Archers earlier – yes, one of them had long brown braids - but they didn’t know which way they had gone. Finally she gave up and swung Ki Xa’s head to the north. “It’s a long ride through these streets to the Mayor’s,” she considered. “I don’t want to be late if we’re leaving soon.”

Yet when she reached the street and found a few of the Troubleshooters already gathered, Dothan and Eldthor were still inside talking. When they finally emerged, Eldthor’s expression was inscrutable but Dothan was clearly scowling. Nobody seemed ready to start riding for Sandpoint before supper. As the group made their way back toward the inn they had stayed at before, Dothan explained angrily that the Mayor had given them Fort Rannick in exchange for their success, and she for one wanted nothing to do with it!

Eldthor tried to explain the details, but it quickly became clear that they wouldn’t understand the true nature of the offer until they could read carefully through all the paperwork the Mayor had suddenly handed them. One detail did jump out: Dwyn Anyonsdottir’s name was on the papers too. Did that mean she owned… a Fort?

Subsequent discussion over ales at the inn suggested that living at Fort Rannick was a real possibility, but one that Dothan hated. Some of the Troubleshooters felt that the Mayor was simply ridding himself of an annoying problem by dumping it into their laps. If they succeeded, they might be stuck performing official duties and paying tributes to Magnimar. If they failed, the Mayor would have an official scapegoat and could cut the whole distant outpost loose. Nor was it certain whether they would actually own the place or simply manage it on behalf of the city – and nobody knew what the status of the only remaining Black Arrows, Vale and his prisoner Kavan, might turn out to be.

On the other hand, it was a whole Fort, given to them in some way! And the whole region around the Fort clearly needed their help. It was premature to speculate without even knowing what would happen in Sandpoint, but what if they made plans to return to the Fort and try to fix the place up for real? What if they restored protection for the area, which obviously was in desperate need of it? What if they brought in experienced miners to work in the mines they had just found? And engineers to restore the dam and develop irrigation for the valley? Turtleback Ferry was in trouble too, after all their struggles with the gambling boat and the latest demoralizing deaths. They could use a friendly outpost nearby for trade and development.

Dwyn mulled over all these things as she sipped her ale, but most importantly she wondered if this surprise announcement was just the sign she had prayed for earlier in the day. “Maybe Sandpoint isn’t the end of the road,” she thought. “Maybe the Earthshaker is calling me back to that wild place. Think of all the unnatural abominations – the undead creatures, the snake lady, the ogres and giants, the hags, the giant octopus, the demon, that creepy swamp – even the terrible weather out there! We’ve been cleaning the place out. Why stop now? Maybe that’s our job: to rebuild it, and help make it something even better than it was before.”

She tried to communicate some of that sentiment to the others, but by then Dothan and even Illian were entirely unyielding and focused more on downing their ales. Eldthor seemed optimistic about the possibility, given the Fort’s wilderness location, and Hal at least seemed open to the idea. Dwyn wasn’t sure if Kay would feel the same way, or if their new friends Sam and Anna might want to return to the area. She hoped they would – the group had felt stronger and more effective, especially during their fight in the mountains. She made a mental note to find out more about them, and about whatever story had led them to navigate that tiny boat through the floodwaters.

No decisions were going to be reached today but nobody seemed ready to go yet, either. Dwyn thought she might scream with impatience, in her desire to get back out on the road to Sandpoint. The note they had found didn’t have a date. Who knew when a dragon might be arriving to terrorize everyone – including her cousins! And all those kids they had once saved from the crazy goblins. She excused herself quietly from the table and walked back on foot towards the Park. The Lodge’s yard was starting to fill up with people stopping by on their way home from work. It looked like something might be happening in the meeting hall – perhaps another potluck supper, judging by the bowls being carried inside.

Finally she saw Kjell on the other side of the yard, tending to a horse and talking to its owner. She ran over with a wave and a sudden loud shout, accidentally startling the horse and scaring the two men nearly out of their wits. The horse’s owner calmed his animal and led him away, eyeing Dwyn warily, and Kjell froze for a long, confused moment as if he had seen a ghost.

“Is that… is that really you?” he said, gaping at her. “We just got your message.” He couldn’t believe she was already here, the very next day.

“Yes!” she exclaimed, beaming. “It’s me!” She couldn’t help running over to give him a quick hug, though she restrained herself from being too expressive, knowing he was on duty and that a bunch of people were around. It was amazing to see him again, standing before her, and to feel his strong arms and smell the grassy, pine-needle smell of his hair. “I’m back, but I’ve got to go again as soon as we can, to Sandpoint.”

“Yeah,” Kjell mumbled. “Father Fendus said something about it. Do you need us to help?”

“I don’t know - we’ll be okay for now, I hope,” she replied. “We just need to get there as soon as possible and make sure everyone is okay. We can figure out how to defend the buildings and evacuate people if it comes to that. We have a Priestess with us now who can send messages if we need to. And maybe I’ll send you a boy I know from Sandpoint – his name is Ven and he’s about 13, 14? I’d be happy to know he was safe here for a while, just in case.”

“Sure, yes,” Kjell nodded. “Send him. So… is everything else okay?”

“Yeah, I have so much to tell you. We fought two giants, and ogres, and I killed that other lamia – it’s a giant snake, basically.” Kjell looked horrified. “It would take forever to tell it all – we’ll talk later. But how are you? How is your mother? And the Lodge?”

“Everything’s fine,” he said. “Mom’s doing better than she has in a long time. She’s been getting out more. We had a big wedding here last week, and then…” his voice trailed off. “Just the usual. Nothing happening.”

Dwyn looked around and wished they could go somewhere else to have this conversation. People kept walking by them and some did little to hide their curiosity. She wasn’t sure if she should say anything about the Fort, but she might not get another chance for a long time. It was now or never. “Hey, I know this sounds crazy, but… what? What are you looking at?”

Kjell was staring at her hair with a strange expression. “Nothing, no – you just… you look different.”

“I do? Well, I’ve been on a river barge for a week. It’s terrible, like being trapped in a cage! They said it would be faster than horses but I’m still not sure I believe it. Wait, is something wrong with my hair?”

“No, no, it’s fine – it’s just… different. You’ve got… a lot of hair today.”

Dwyn rolled her eyes. “I don’t know what they did – that was Kay and Dothan. You met her once, remember? Anyway…”

She was rattled by the interruption and tried to buck up her courage to speak again. Two women were watching them from across the lawn – she didn’t know who they were but they were certainly whispering together.

“This may sound weird but I think the Mayor just gave us a Fort. The one we were sent to investigate, Fort Rannick. You know?”

Kjell nodded, bewildered. “He gave you the whole Fort? What?”

“I know, it’s weird. I don’t even know what it means yet. But my name is on a deed, they say. Anyway… I don’t know what’s going to happen in Sandpoint, or how long we’ll be there, but if it works out I think maybe I’m going back to the Fort to live for a while.”

Kjell looked crestfallen. “You are? When – I mean, where is it exactly?”

“It’s way out past Turtleback Ferry. You get to Nybor and you’re not even quite halfway there. You can take a barge, but… the octopus. That’s another story for later. The point is, it’s up in the mountains, surrounded by forest. But the little town isn’t far away, and there are mines in the other direction. You might like the woods out there – one of the forests was really spooky but I think we helped solve that.” She paused and realized she was rattling on very quickly. “The point is, you should think about coming out there. Since the place is ours now, maybe, I guess we can have whoever we want join us. Some of my friends were talking about inviting dwarves to develop the mines, or even goblins – uh, yeah, that’s another story for later. So, what do you think?”

It was all a bit much for Kjell. “I don’t know, I’d have to think about it, obviously. I’m not sure what … would be involved.”

“Me either. We only heard of this a few hours ago. It’s just an idea. I’m not even sure it’s going to work – I might need to stay in Sandpoint if anything bad happens.”

Kjell brightened a little. “Yeah, Sandpoint isn’t all that far away. It sounds like they need you all there, at least until you know what’s going on.”

“Right, well, I thought I would tell you about the Fort since I have to go away again now. Maybe think about it, ask your mom.”

“Wait, you’re serious. You… you really want me to ask my mom? To move… to a Fort we’ve never seen? With you?”

Dwyn looked around uncomfortably at the people milling about in the yard. “Yeah, I guess so. Why not? I thought you didn’t really like the city. Maybe you both need a fresh start.”

Kjell glanced behind him at the Lodge, his second home, and thought of Fendus, who had been just like a father to him all these years since losing his own. He could see people watching his conversation with Dwyn, and one of them was Bekka. She started moving across the yard toward him. The whole thing was nearly too much. After so many lonely days, hoping against hope she was okay, to have her here suddenly laying out a plan? It was overwhelming. It was one thing to want Dwyn back, to want to spend time with her again, and yes, perhaps even to build a future together. He had thought of it so many times, though in truth he barely knew her. Maybe he was crazy – he certainly felt like he had gone crazy. He could sense Bekka getting closer and wondered if any of the Archers were watching, or if his mother had even walked over for the potluck. What would they be thinking? What would his mother think of this? How was he supposed to answer this invitation? This sudden, enormous, vague invitation?

“I’m sorry, I can’t be having this conversation now,” he said curtly, though his voice quavered. “Gotta go inside. We’ll talk again when you get back.”

He turned and headed quickly toward the building, leaving Bekka trailing in his wake. She glanced over at Dwyn, who looked completely stricken. What a strange sight she was, this tall, powerful woman in a gleaming suit of armor, an array of menacing weapons strapped to her back, with a fabulous hairdo nobody at the Lodge had ever seen the like of outside the Alabaster district! She looked as if she might cry, right there in the yard next to the horses. Bekka didn’t mean to stare but she couldn’t help it. She felt in some strange way that she was looking at her opposite. Dwyn stared back at her, with a little flicker of recognition, and then watched Kjell’s retreating form as he entered the Lodge. She had no idea what she was feeling. Was it embarrassment? Sorrow? Anger? Disappointment? Whatever it was, she was very sorry she had mentioned the Fort at all. No, this meeting had not gone at all as planned.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:02 am

[Stands and applauds] That was really great! I love reading your stories!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 am

Ditto that. Thank you, Elle.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:22 am

And it seems like a good starting point for tonight... Eating dinner, discussing what the heck were are going to do about this damned fort... about to ride off to Sandpoint...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:57 am

I don't know if it's your OCD, but you certainly are able to do a good job portraying the angst of teenage relationships.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:22 pm

LOL, thank you. My personal maturity level has not really progressed beyond constant Angst and teenage-level emotional intelligence, so that's probably why.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:04 am

Fireday, 20 Neth

Dear Diary,

My second whole day in the City! There are SO MANY people here! Since last night everyone is talking about the Sandpoint dragon and like I said yesterday I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE WAS A REAL DRAGON IN SANDPOINT!!!!!!!!!

Today we walked down to the shore and it took forever. We went to the fish market. I would have been lost if I was alone. There are lots of other guys here but I am one of the youngest. The youngest one (he's 12) lives here at the Lodge because his parents died. Most live in the city. They come to the Lodge early in the AM and go home before supper.

Father Fendus is really nice. He's different from Father Zantus and the service is totally different from church back home. It's ok, not too boring. He's busy all day so I am helping the Archers. I thought my bow was awesome - it was better than any other kid in Sandpoint. It's nothing compared to their bows here. From now on I am saving all my money from the bakery so I can get a new bow!!!!!!

I don't know when I can go home. Dwyn said she would come get me or send a message but we haven't heard anything except THEY KILLED A DRAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so scared about Mom and Dad and Grandma but they said they would hide in the cellar if any dragons came. Most people wouldn't leave but Anika rode with me because she's going to have a baby. She was worried that Dwyn was right, and she was!

The whole fall harvest I was practicing with the scythe like Dwyn said but I hate it. I want a better bow or a polearm like Dwyn has or maybe a HUGE ax! I chop so much wood every day and I am doing that here too in the morning. Kjell can chop wood faster than anybody in the world. He looks so mad when he does. He doesn't talk much but is mostly nice. Dwyn said they are friends but I don't think he likes her. Yesterday I said if a dragon comes Dwyn is going to kill it with her hammer and he goes "That's ENOUGH VEN!!!" like he was mad about it! He wanted to know all about Alma and the bakery and also Dwyn's family but I barely know them because they live out on a farm.

OK I am going to bed. I hope Dwyn comes tomorrow. We have to get up even earlier here than for Alma! They have no good bakeries here.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:19 am

Starday, 21 Neth

Dear Diary,

Dwyn is here! Everything was true - they killed a dragon and a whole bunch of giants AND I GOT TO SEE THE DEAD DRAGON!!! It was red and there were arrow holes and black marks all over where it was burnt! I didn't think fire could hurt dragons that breathe it but Dwyn says that was something the wizard did. I really wish I was there to see when they killed it! But I can't believe I got to see A REAL DRAGON even if it was a dead one. They brought it here to town and I went with when they sold it. The parts are good for making a lot of things. They already took off the wings to do that with. Dwyn is keeping the scales to make something. I'm not sure what.

We're going back home on Moonday which means we get to stay for church tomorrow. This morning was awesome too - I got to shoot a huge bow like the Archers use! We had to get up really early and then we got to practice shooting for a long time. The bow is so heavy, your arms really get tired fast. Tomorrow a bunch of people from the lodge are going out to shoot on horseback and I am going with! Dwyn has an extra horse because they had to bring the dragon in on a wagon. I'm too tired to write more now. I'll write again when we get home!
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:28 am

“Yeah, she’s back,” Kjell said, with a nonchalant shrug, but Rone was hardly fooled.

“Since when?”

“Tonight. She was here a few hours ago. She came to get Ven – yeah, that kid she brought from Sandpoint. She wanted him to see the dead dragon before they sold it. Her friends were waiting with the wagon up in Alabaster so they took off in a hurry.”

“So it’s true – a dragon was really in Sandpoint!”

“Yep.” Kjell shook his head. “A bunch of giants, too. They’re not sure what they wanted or why they had a dragon. She didn’t say how they killed it – we just talked for a minute and she got Ven and ran off.” Kjell paused. He was accustomed to hiding his thoughts from Rone, and the less said the better where that was concerned, but tonight for some reason he felt like talking.

“She said they have two nights here – just enough time to sell the dragon and buy some other stuff – and they’re headed back on Moonday. But they’re not going to stay in Sandpoint. They’re going to track down where those giants came from. She didn’t seem very happy about it – I guess she thinks it’s too dangerous because the giants almost killed one of them and there’s going to be all kinds of fucking giants out there, wherever they’re going, but she feels like they have to do it or else more giants are going to come back to Sandpoint… it all sounds really fucking insane and stupid if you ask me, which of course she didn’t.”

For a change, Rone found himself without anything to say. They sat in silence for a while, drinking.

“Did I tell you she asked me to move to Fort Rannick?”

“Uh, no… are you serious?”

“Yep, me and mom both. She wants us to move there - said it again tonight! She’s like, “sorry that was so sudden last time, it didn't really come out the way I wanted, but did you ask your mom already?” I’m like, “no,” obviously, and she says, “well, I’m serious, we’re going out there to work on it – you can come too!” like we’re going to just drop everything and move to some fucked up place we’ve never been.” Kjell got up to refill his mug. “Want another one?”

“Sure. So… are you going to tell your mom?”

Kjell shot him a withering glance.

“Hey, just asking. She must be serious about it if she asked you to move. Twice!”

“Right, she doesn’t even know where she’s going next week, much less where she’s going to live. Are you kidding? I’m supposed to tell my mom about this when she’s finally acting like a normal person for the first time in years? She leaves the house now just to see people, do you know how big a deal that is?”

“Yeah, but…” Rone began slowly, “you always said she hated it here. And so do you! You hate the city, right? Except for the Lodge, that’s what you say. You’re always talking about leaving – you just don’t want to go back home. Okay, that makes sense, but maybe you need to go somewhere else. Get back out in the country a little more.”

Kjell gulped down his ale. “Yeah, of course I hate the city. Everybody hates the city, but our little corner of it is really nice. That’s our job, right? To keep it that way. I can’t just leave. What would Fendus say? And what about Bekka?”

“Oh!” Rone exclaimed, laughing, “I knew it! I knew you wanted that. Everyone thinks it’s all her but I knew it was you too. Come on, she’s so fucking desperate, it’s sad. You’d be so bored. I’m not saying I’d want a girl like Dwyn – most people wouldn’t. She’s totally fucking scary and kind of dumb…”

Kjell’s face hardened instantly and Rone decided to walk that one back. “I mean, you just said she wants to run off and kill a bunch of giants – all kinds of stuff like that. I don’t mean she’s dumb – I mean more like reckless. She doesn’t care what happens to her. She’s not like normal girls. But you’re not really normal either.”

Kjell eyed him suspiciously. “You’re not fucking normal. What’s wrong with me? I’m doing what I’m supposed to. There’s nothing wrong with Bekka, she’s fine. She doesn’t bother me. She’s not fighting any dragons, that’s for fucking sure. You know what she likes? She likes to sew.”

“Okay, whatever. She’s not even close to Dwyn. You know what? I just think you’re mad because you know you want to go out there and you're scared.”
Last edited by Elle on Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:38 am

I love these. Kjell better work through his shit before Dwyn's next visit though. Time to either jump or climb back down from the high board.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:45 pm

Return to “Runelords”