Calling All Fighters!

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Calling All Fighters!

Postby Zen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 am

Hey... you guys making snow angels over there... That noise you're hearing is an Ancient White Dragon taking a healthy bite out of The Company of the Rusty Dragon... (And freezing our a few or our backsides as well...)

Additional swords would be appreciated... :)

It is slowed now!

OOC: I had a catastrophic failure of my spreadsheet for my character a while back and had to recreate it... In the process, I think I might have lost a potion of healing or two that were listed on my old sheet, as I don't have any listed on the current sheet. I see there were two CMW potions assigned to me back in May. I remember quaffing one at some point, but I don't remember using both. Is it safe to assume I still have the second one? (The first attempt at recreating I missed my sorcerer's robe, so I know I missed some things... sigh...)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: Calling All Fighters!

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 am

Yeah, Hal and Illian would have been helpful last night, though I'm actually surprised at how well off we are without them. But rolling a 40 to attack with my bow and some dragon-bane arrows and having it miss, it's clear we're facing a pretty tough opponent. Thankfully, it has now been slowed, and with the additional haste, song, and other bonuses from Dothan, I should be able to hit him a little easier now.

On the downside, I only have enough dragon-bane arrows left for 2 more rounds, after which I'll have to resort to regular arrows. That will have a small affect on my attack roll, but a big affect on my damage rolls against it. Man, it's a trade-off: do I buy a lot of giant-bane arrows and few dragon-bane arrows, knowing we're much more likely to face giants than dragons, but knowing that a single dragon will take more arrows to defeat than a single giant likely will take? We can only hope this is the last dragon we face for awhile.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:55 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

Also of note, a shield spell was dispelled on the dragon, so further arrow attacks may prove to be more useful... hopefully :)
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Dothan's continuing role will be to keep singing and get Good Hope or Heroism on as many people as possible to pump up our attack bonuses.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm

In these situations I try to log in as Dwyn and usually end up puzzled about whether I've forgotten my password. Sigh.

Anyway, yeah, fighters! My problem in these situations is that I have no particularly useful ranged attack - even with Anna's help dispelling things, I doubt my normal arrow is enough to hit a foe like this one. And then you have the problem of dropping the bow, getting out the melee weapon, etc. I really need to get some sort of magical device, wand, spell, or whatever would let me do something useful when not able to run up and thwack the enemy. I will continue trying to run up and thwack the enemy, in the meantime, but it's pretty damn mobile even when slowed, so this may or may not work as small human runs around on the earth.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm

And my problem is the opposite: I'm good if I'm fighting ranged combat, and really good if that's between 5 and 30 feet (close enough for point blank shot and intuitive shot to apply, but far enough to not provoke AoO from using a ranged attack). But if combat is up close and personal, and I have to draw my sword, I'm in trouble.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Yeah... I don't think I can hit this bad boy with my bow without a Nat20. Maybe with the Dragon bane AND Good Hope, but with only one more Dragon Bane arrow at my disposal, I think I'm better off going in with some flit-in-and-out attacks in Tempest form and see if I can do some damage that way... Or maybe I should just cast Fly and use the old Rapier first and go at a boring old 90 feet per round? The extra chance of a crit would be nice... but it still hast to HIT.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Just for reference, here are the keys that were recovered from the standing stones, and who has them:

Belimarius: Dwyn
Sorshen: Dothan
Xanderghul: Sam
Alaznist: Eldthor
Zutha: Anna
Karzoug: Kay
Krune: Anna

Return to “Runelords”