[Runeforge] Where to next?

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.

What order do we want to search the remaining halls?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:34 am

Zutha (gluttony/necromancy), Krune (sloth/conjuration), Xanderghul (pride/illusion), then Alaznist (wrath/evocation)
No votes
Xanderghul (pride/illusion), Alaznist (wrath/evocation), Krune (sloth/conjuration), then Zutha (gluttony/necromancy)
100%

Total votes: 5
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[Runeforge] Where to next?

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:34 am

So there was some discussion during last night's session regarding the order we should conquer the remaining halls in Runeforge. We talked about going clockwise, ending in Alaznist/wrath/evocation, because someone (I don't know if it was Andrew) suggested that would be the hardest hall to conquer, and being associated with the school that includes teleportation, would be most likely to have a way out of here, so hit it when we're ready to leave. The other approach that was mentioned was doing Xanderghul/pride/illusion next, since it's opposed to Karzoug's school/vice, then do Alaznist/wrath/evocation because he was a foe of Karzoug's back in the real world, then do the remaining two (I put Zutha/gluttony/necromancy last, because I think that will actually be the most difficult hall to face).

If anyone feels strongly about having a different option, let me know and I'll add it to the poll. Sorry, Dwyn, I did not add an option to just hit Xanderghul/pride/illusion) and Alaznist/wrath/evocation and then get out of here, since the consensus seemed (except for Dwyn) seemed to be to clear out all of the halls.
Last edited by Tahlvin on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Runeforge] Where to next?

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:44 am

Also, I left the poll open for about 2 weeks, but please vote as soon as possible, so DMDarcs has plenty of time to prepare for the hall we enter next.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 am

Well... I think that's a majority... But I suppose we should leave the poll up anyway...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:59 pm

For what its worth, I have no idea as to the difficulty of the remaining corridors, and don't recall suggesting anything to that effect, but its entirely possible that I did and don't remember.

I understand the reluctance of some of the party to stay here any longer than is absolutely necessary, but we don't yet know how to craft the dominating weapons, a question Anna REALLY should have asked The Scribbler.

I think we have a consensus and we will approach Xanderghul first in two weeks.

See you all then! (hopefully)
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:55 pm

I didn't vote because I have no stake in the outcome - as a player, I obviously see the need to clear this place out, scrounge for useful items or loot, and so on. As Dwyn, the goal is to get whatever we came here for - which initially was a cure for Illian, in her mind, and maybe something nebulous related to the larger project of saving the whole region from this rising ancient evil.

Then we got the cure for Illian but it became clear we are trapped in a bad place with no idea how to get back out, and time seems to have stopped altogether (no need for food), and people/creatures from thousands of years ago are here, and it's not clear we are going to be spit back out again in a manner that permits rejoining family, getting married, etc.

So we're here, might as well slog ahead to find an exit, and her friends insisted we needed to stay longer to find the keys to defeating Karzoug. Dwyn accepts with great reluctance that we are here until we are sure we have those things or ingredients, despite not really knowing what they are, but she is not going to be happy about it. Her preference is to get in and get out like this is a dangerous trip to return something at the mall on the part of someone who really hates mall shopping, but clearly it's not going to be like that and we are stuck in the damn shoestore with Phoebe.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Being Dead Hurts. I don't like it
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:19 am

Tell me about it!

At some point in the next 2 weeks, I'll post a thread on Eldthor's last thoughts as he perishes in a blazing inferno.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 am

You should have the true resurrection, Tahlvin.
Power and Ripp forever

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:17 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 am

First off, this conversation is only valid if no one else dies. What are the chances of that?

Secondly, to cast both of these spells, we need 35,000gp worth of diamonds. Do we have that yet? I thought I remember having 10K worth, but not necessarily the rest.

Thirdly, the recipient of True Resurrection is restored to life as if nothing happened. The recipient of the Vanilla Resurrection, however, comes back with a permanent negative level (removable only by Wish or similar, I presume). A negative level means -1 to pretty much all important rolls forever, plus a permanent loss of 5hp, plus they are "also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables (such as spellcasting) for each negative level possessed. Spellcasters do not lose any prepared spells or slots as a result of negative levels." My reading of this, coupled with some research, is that whoever gets the negative level does not lose the ability to cast any spells, they just lower their effective caster level. So a 12th level caster with five negative levels would still be able to cast all their 5th and 6th level spells, but would cast them as a 7th level caster.

That still doesn't help me decide who would/should get what, but if my reading is mistaken, then it could definitely change how we evaluate this.

As an added possibility, we could carry one of their remains back to a big city with us and spend 4,000 on another scroll of True Resurrection (plus an extra 15,000 in diamonds) and avoid the whole negative level thing. Assuming we can get the hell out of here at all, an extra 19,000 is a small price to pay. Especially if we don't have enough diamonds at the moment... if we have to travel somewhere anyway, then it's worth looking at the upgrade, in my opinion.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:12 am

good point T, I wasn't thinking
Power and Ripp forever

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:19 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:41 am

Wow. Okay... so we have these two spells we can cast NOW. Or we spend about 29,000 on a True Resurrection (23K with trade-in... but I doubt we'd give up the other Res no matter what).
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:42 am

Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:25 pm

I don't think we have anyone alive who can cast the scrolls, unless someone took a level of Oracle that I didn't notice... or if Dwyn has a level of cleric. I never remember if she does or not.

Hal can't cast them, they aren't on his spell list. Same for Thor if we were to bring him back through other means.

Dwyn would need a Wisdom score of 17 for the resurrection and 19 for the true.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Use Magic Device would help here, but we'd need to hit a DC of 33 for Res and 37 for True Res. Dothan has +15 for Use Magic Device. I believe the scroll is wasted on a roll of 1, but otherwise, we can keep retrying. So I can't cast True Res, and I have a 25% chance of destroying the Res.

I don't know if Anna's UMD is higher, but it looks like faking the level requirement is the hard part for this one. If you hit that, you will also get the Wisdom requirement.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Maybe you guys could subdue somebody in these high-powered halls who would be willing to cast them in exchange for you guys allowing them to live. :p
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Dwyn's a cleric.

Return to “Runelords”