How to spend 80,000 gp

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Mike
Boy of Summer

How to spend 80,000 gp

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:11 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How to spend 80,000 gp

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:16 am

Kay can probably help with the Songbow... I would think... Since she makes bows...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:24 am

Also, Dwyn and Illian can reduce the cost of their armors by 40-50% by having Anna do the magic work for them, but then it's a matter of 5 days for Illian's armor and 10 for Dwyn's. My items are going to take a week each, but I have to put up with that, because they are custom designed. I don't know that others are willing to take that much time.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:25 am

Do we know if Sam can do the Sending spell yet? If so, we might be able to tell if there is an immediate threat to Sandpoint... If not, we could take our time and customize our armor and weapons...

If we were doing that... , do you know if it would be possible to add magical properties to my current rapier? Because I think I could probably afford, with the sale of a couple of items, to have my Rapier turned into something truly special...
Last edited by Zen on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:26 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:44 am

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:28 am

For the record, what Kay is thinking of now is MORE than just a Keen Rapier... (A Keen Rapier is a +1 Rapier with double the critical threat, giving it a 15-20 threat zone...) What I want is a Keen-Shocking Burst Rapier! I guess the question is how much that costs adding on to my existing +1 weapon... (Since it takes it up to a +4 weapon, I probably can't actually afford it, since that would b 32,000...)

The other option, which I would be able to afford, is a Keen Spell Storing Rapier. That, however, requires a 12th level mage, even though it is only a +1 to the weapon... It would be really nice to have a nice Shocking Grasp spell stored on the weapon though, or, once I level up, Storm Step or Lightning Bolt... OMG!!!! Forget the Shocking Burst and it's outrageous cost and find me a 12th level mage!!!! I want my Spell Storing Rapier NOW!!!! Imagine the demoralizing effect as I thrust my rapier at my opponent, then a disappear and reappear across the battle field, leaving a line of fried opponents in my wake? Or a bolt of lightning fries them for 7D6 points of damage for 120 feet? I'd be willing to pay 18,000 gp for that!

OK... that is the new goal... A Keen Spell Storing Rapier!
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 am

From what I've gathered, Sam can do sending, she just has to pray for it the previous day.

What I would ask while we are in Magnimar is this: If you all think of adjustments that you'd like me to make to your weapons, (icy burst, shocking burst, keen, etc) let me know, and we can make sure to grab a scroll of the proper spell while we're in Magnimar, so whenever there's downtime, I can craft the weapons or armor.

I've got a bunch of gold, but as I cannot make use of armor or weapons, I really dont know what to do. I'm contemplating depositing it in a bank so when I stumble across 6k more gold, I can buy that new headband of vast intellect.

I wonder if I can craft the headband...

BTW, I managed to fix Darcs' laptop, so he should be back relatively soon :-D
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:26 am

Dothan can craft the headband. It would cost 8,000 and take 16 days. Plus I need someone to cast Fox's Cunning.

The downside is that I just realized my Spellcraft is +11. Not horrible, but the DC on the headband is 18... 1 in 3 chance of blowing it and losing time and materials. Someone else can provide me an assist, for another +3, but I think that might require both of us to be committed to this task for 16 days, which is 16 days Anna isn't working on other stuff.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:26 pm

I'd love to upgrade the new icy burst longbow to +2 instead of +1. Unfortunately, that's the equivalent of going from +3 to +4, which would cost 24,000 GP and take a commensurate number of days (cut in half if Anna does it, or is it Sam?).

So in the meantime, I do have enough cash to pick up some +3 darkleaf leather. I already have +2 leather, so it will really only increase my AC by 1 point. So I may look at other possibilities for increasing my AC rather than better armor.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Unfortunately for the two enhancements I want for my sword the creator must be CL 10 (Keen) and 12 (Spell Storing). Well, now that I look more carefully, maybe a scroll would work for Keen... Spell storing specifically states:
-----------------------
CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be a caster of at least 12th level; Cost +1 bonus
-----------------------

But for Keen it says:
-----------------------
CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge; Cost +1 bonus
-----------------------

I'm assuming that a Keen Rapier, new, would cost the equivalent of a +2 Rapier. IF it can be done using a CL 10 scroll of Keen Edge, by a level 9 character, it would take 6 days and cost 3000 gp for Anna to do.

To get both Keen edge and Spell Storing would require a level 12 caster for the Spell Storing and I'd probably be paying full price at that point. In addition, it would take 16 days to modify my sword, or 18 days to modify some other masterwork rapier from scratch, with the only difference being whether i would trade in my sword or have it modified.

That is actually a viable option for me... It isn't like I couldn't leave my rapier with them and use my new dagger, with the understanding that I would trade in the dagger when they were done with my rapier. I would be exchanging 1D6 for 1D4 but getting a 17-20 threat range instead of 18-20, and Thunderstaff and Sneak Attack work just as well with daggers as they do with rapiers...

As a matter of fact, if I really wanted to save money, I would just have the dagger modified... It would take 10 days for a CL12 mage and only cost 10,000 gp. (But I was really looking forward to that 15-20 Threat range...)

What do you guys think?
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:31 pm

YAYyyyyyyyyy to working computer!!!! Wooohooo

T., does Eldthor have a ring of protection? That worked for me, not too expensive.

Assuming this all flies, I'm trading in my armor to save a bit of coin on the +3 half plate. Unless... can anyone use magical +1 breastplate, medium armor? Maybe even Sam? Or whoever? Dothan is really good at repainting it in fashionable colors, assuming you don't want to look like an Elk.

Also picking up a few more Barkskin potions I keep forgetting to drink (another good option for Eldthor AC?), replacement arrows and horse provisions. We probably need to pay for boat passage. I really want to keep my horse. Argh.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Yes. Dothan also needs to look into some consumables that might be useful to her.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:20 pm

I can also provide you with an augment to your natural armor for 4 rounds if you let me know. It even stacks with any other natural armor your already have. Its only a standard action, and I can do it 10 times a day.

If you'd prefer, I can also provide you with a buff to one ability score of your choice for the same duration the same number of times.

I'd lean towards keening the rapier and then grabbing spell storing when Anna hits 12th. We'll have some more ready cash by then, and in the interim, I think the 15-20 threat range has the potential for a lot more damage overall.

I'm fairly sure Sam has armor, though, as her character sheet was on origami paper until last night, who knows? :D :D :D
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 pm

I would like to point out, that while it is incredibly helpful and useful that Anna can make these things. It will take her multiple months to deal with all of our requests. Dreaming-wise, this is a wonderful wonderful thing, practicality-wise, we need to consider our time constraints, I think.

Curmudgeonly yours,

Illian
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:52 pm

Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Another armor option I might consider later on is Celestial Armor(http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/mag ... tial-armor). It is chainmail that can be worn under cloths without detetction, allows 8% dex bonus (which is 1 more than darkleaf), and only has a 15% spell failure (which would be reduced to 5% by one feat and could be eliminated by taking a Arcane Armor Mastery) and lets you fly once per day... I would have to make sure I can also still wear my snakeskin shirt under it or I would need to replace the bonus dexterity with something else... I'm sure the armor bonus wouldn't stack, but it is +3 chainmail... that is some pretty nice armor... Of course, it costs 22,400 gp...

Return to “Runelords”