How to spend 80,000 gp

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How to spend 80,000 gp

Postby Elle » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:06 pm

That is some sweet armor. Do I understand correctly that the spell failure chance only applies to things like sorcery and wizardry and such? So clerics will be able to wear heavier armors without any inherent problem? I ask because again, if Sam does not have magical armor, I have this +1 magic breastplate which would make a great foundation for further enhancement, if you didn't plan to run straight up to every bad ol' thing you encounter and start hammering it. I want something like AC 30 as soon as possible. There was a time when I started playing that AC 30 sounded like an INSANE number, but then I realized that my own to-hit rolls often exceed that amount, and then I realized that the bad lamia/giant/ogre boss's good to-hit rolls were going to exceed that amount, because they started hitting my soft and tender fleshy parts with regularity, and then I became motivated.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm just saying, if we saved up and pooled our gold, we could all timeshare
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm in. I have my 12.5 already.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:30 pm

If only it did something dragon like when there wasn't pilot error...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:48 am

I'm actually thinking of trading in the +1 icy burst composite longbow when we get to Magnimar and getting a +3 composite longbow with +1 STR bonus for damage. That would take me from +14/+9 to hit and +1+1d6(cold) damage, to +16/+11 to hit and +4 damage. I'd give up the possible extra points of cold damage (especially on a critical hit), but in return would get an additional +2 to hit and an additional +3 to damage (+2 for the higher magical bonus and +1 for the STR bonus). The icy burst longbow is worth 18,400 GP, while a +3 composite longbow (+1 STR) is worth 18,500 GP, so it's almost an even trade.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:39 am

Even trade IF you're willing to wait the 10 days for one of us to enchant it (assuming that it's the first priority). Otherwise, you get half-value for the icy bow to apply to the new one.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 am

I have the materials and had been working on a bow for a while to make a Masterwork Strength Bow +1, so that is taken care of, I expect we could call that done by now with me continuing to tinker on it on the trip home when on watch, etc... (If Darcs agrees, that is... If not, one can be bought for easily in town, I'm sure...) That would leave the enchanting of it, which would take 18 days and cost 9,000 gp if I read the rules correctly... (It says that it takes the number of days of the base cost but you pay half of the base cost in raw materials... am I reading it right?)

In any event, you could easily use your old bow until the new one is ready and sell the icy one to pay for the +3...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:19 am

Yes, DMDarcs has handled trade ins differently at different times; sometimes he's allowed an even trade, other times it was half-price. So yes, if he allows half-price on the icy burst bow (which is perfectly reasonable for him to do), then I would have to pay half the price of the +3 bow. With the new cash we just got, plus what I already had saved up, I should be able to afford that plus still afford an upgrade of some sort on my AC.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:56 pm

I am really interested to see what happens specifically between here and Sandpoint. I mean, perhaps Black Magga will eat our whole boat and that will be that for the campaign. But if not, and we make it back, there are a LOT of ways this could go for Dwyn that would affect my ridiculous obsession with her ongoing side story.

At the moment I'm thinking she won't stop in Magnimar at all unless she cannot have someone else purchase armor for her. She would trust the others to do that on her behalf, especially since she's a lousy haggler over prices anyway, and magical armor is going to fit without being there to try it on.

But if she doesn't stop in Magnimar, I would think she at least rides through the city on her way to the Sandpoint road and passes the Deadeye Lodge. I need the help of Randomness/Dice to determine, in that event, whether she runs into her two-week, not-so-much-now boyfriend, and if so, whether he's alone when she runs into him. Or will she merely be able to leave a message for him? The Drama is crazy.

If I were him, I would also seek permission to follow her to Sandpoint to help with an evacuation or protection, if she manages to communicate what's going on. But since he's an NPC of my own fabrication, I could devise some reason to make him stay put. Maybe he has his own problems to attend to, or his Mom doesn't want to let him out of her sight and he acquiesces, or someone trying but failing to be well-meaning pockets a note from Dwyn and therefore sows confusion and discord. ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN!
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:31 am

DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:32 am

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:20 am

Is it OK if we post lists of what we are buying here, and the prices and such, to see if we can actually find it and if all of that is OK? That might save time getting all the shopping and whatnot taken care of before we start up next session?

I will make a detailed list but the plan is +3 agile half-plate, maybe with a special material if available, barding (probably scale mail) for Ki Xa, replacement arrows, and some barkskin and CMW potions. I'm also assuming a lot about other people's ability to carry Dwyn's share of the loot/stuff we find in their magical giant bags. But if I ever need to get one of those myself, let me know and I'll save up for it.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:02 am

INSIGHT: Barkskin potion does not stack with an amulet of natural armor, which I already have. So I need something like Shield of Faith potions instead. Or maybe Bull's Strength or Cat's Grace (for situations where we're fighting lots of creatures and an extra AoO would help).

There is also something called Protection from Arrows. What's up with that, is that a spell some of you already have? Does it only protect against arrows, or all ranged weapons? Is dragon breath a ranged weapon? I HAVE QUESTIONS!
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:25 am

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:34 am

Is Dragon's breath a ranged touch attack or an area effect? (Like burning hands or sonic scream)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:17 am

Dothan invested 2,750 in the creation of her Memory Journal. She has 1.5 days of work invested as of our meeting with the Mayor. 6 days are required for completion.

Dothan also purchased 100 arrows, a Wand of Heightened Awareness, and 3 scrolls of Fox's Cunning.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:00 pm

Days on a barge were already ruled to be half days (in private message). Dothan got six half-days in on the trip, totaling 12 hours of work. I suppose if we travel more comfortably--airship or a boat with proper cabins or something--then we could do more.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:47 pm

For these longer-term investments into creation, it might be interesting to consider our options relative to Fort Rannick. There is no way we can go back there until we figure out who was threatening to invade Sandpoint and why, or we deal with an actual invasion. However, hypothesizing we make it past whatever that turns out to be, would we land at the Fort and stay for a while? Ok I'm going to start another thread to discuss this, in case anyone is interested or, for you CHAOTICS, not happy!

Return to “Runelords”