Preparing For Xin Shalast

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Preparing For Xin Shalast

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:08 pm

* builds house outside of Xin-Shalast *

* shakes fist at Karzoug for a month *
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Time for a little math (I had a lot of thinking time while driving):

First off, we just have to accept that if we spend more than 2 days between 5,000 to 15,000 feet, we're all going to be fatigued all the time. The only saving grace of the elixir at that altitude is that we are good for 8 hours, and then it resets our saves, so we'd have another day or two (ish). But above 15,000 feet...

I have a Fort save of +7. (Dothan is not big on playing defense.) Therefore, without any elixirs at all, here's what happens:

End of day 1 -- I'm probably okay, maybe -1 to my abilities (possibly -2), but that's survivable.
End of day 2 -- I'm at -3 or -4 to everything. I'm fucked.
End of day 3 -- I'll have a 0 wisdom and be incapable of motivating myself. Plus I no longer have the ability to save against ability damage.
End of day 4 -- I won't be able to move at all.
End of day 5 -- I'm dead.

That's best case scenario.

Now let's imagine that I somehow get hold of an endless supply of elixirs AND potions of Bears Endurance to buff my save. In that case, all of this moves back a day. I'm still worthless by the middle of day 3 and dead on day 5 or 6.

Therefore, we cannot spend more than 24 hours above 15,000 feet and still hope to succeed. Hopefully, since Xin Shalast is thought to be extra dimensional, once we cross the threshold, we'll be on another plane and the high altitude rules will no longer apply.

IF we can work out the money/timing, I vote for 1 elixir each. That will be our Hail Mary for getting from the high altitude line to the gates of Xin Shalast. If we still have to keep fighting altitude sickness in the city, then our only hope is to work quick and get the hell out.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Or hope we can find another solution once we're there. After all, the residents of Xin-Shalast had to deal with the same stuff, they must have had a solution that allowed them to be there for extended periods of time without dealing with the fatigues and death.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Well... we COULD acclimate ourselves to high altitudes by living somewhere high for the requisite amount of time prior to going?
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Acclimation has no effect on altitude sickness above 15,000 feet. I'd still have exactly the same result.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Correct, acclimation only helps in the middle altitudes, 5,000 to 15,000.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Or, you all become undead. Then you don't have to worry about breathing. Go find some sexy vampires.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:03 pm

So Hal took Censoring critical as his replacement, if that works. Been trying to figure out a workable silence option for a while, and it's hit or miss (sorry) but it fills in the box.

Also, how high are we? Are we at the acclimate altitude or dying (Hal has necklace of adaptation, so not an issue for him) but is there a way to a party member to scout a location/target for teleport so a wizard can make it happen without hiking there herself?
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."

Return to “Runelords”