Giant Hunt - Post Dragon Battle

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Giant Hunt - Post Dragon Battle

Postby Bluedevyl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Also, these guys are known to throw REALLY heavy rocks from time to time. If we can catch them early in the morning, perhaps unprepared, it might save us from at least a couple rounds of having rocks chucked at our heads.

And Zen, a couple of them ARE pretty injured... a fireball with some good rolls might kill one or two.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:49 pm

All the better! The more dead early, the fewer we have to kill the old fashioned way... (I just hope one of them isn't Teraktinus or Tetanus shot or Tinnitus or whatever his name is...)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:44 am

Well, in retrospect we did some dumb things. Hopefully we will salvage things though! :oops:
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:12 am

The good news is, Illian is still alive. It was certainly touch or go, but I think he'll survive.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:50 am

At this point, it seems the morale of the three remaining giants is shaken. So do we talk to them? Offer to let them live if they promise not to return to Mokmurian and Jorgenfist, but instead head south or something like that? Or do we eliminate them completely? I could go either way, although Eldthor will probably need some more serious healing before long, as will Illian and Dwyn. All of the remaining giants are at least wounded, correct?

Also, are we going to try to heal T-Pain enough so we can question him? Or do we let dead giants lie? Without Dothan there to do the questioning, my inclination is to let him die. I don't want to drag him back to Sandpoint and have to guard him the whole time, and healing him to question and kill him is not something Eldthor is keen on doing. We can win this battle, but we'll be pretty tapped out, so guarding a pissed off giant, wounded or not, is not something I think we should try.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 am

I think part of the answer to that is whether there is a description of the item he was looking for on his person... But we might just trust in Dothan's research skills to figure out what he was looking for and be happy to have eliminated him as a threat.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:53 am

I don't think it'll be necessary to heal and interrogate Teraktinus. I don't think we're likely to discover more from him than we've found out from Gunrus. I'm more than happy to let the other three go. If they head back towards Jorgenfist, so much the better. We'll have an easy trail to follow. If others would rather they didn't go back, I could get behind that as well.

Personally, I thought last night was great. Each dangerous encounter teaches us something, and I definitely think last night did that as well. For me, it's always listen to Bill. :D

I'm already looking forward to next time.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:09 am

Well, Kay nearly getting killed by the Barghest earlier in the campaign certainly impacted her fighting style, leading to this flitting in and out of combat style that left her sitting feeling quite guilty with 61 hit points while other people were getting pounded... (Of course, if the rock throwers had the luck with her that they had with Eldthor, she would have been in a similar situation to Illian, though she would have gone to get healing quicker thanks to her mobility... And then probably started casting spells.)

Somehow, with Dave not actually being there to experience near death, one wonders if Illian will learn anything from the experience... (The little guy's had a death wish for so long anyway!)

I don't suppose there's anything we could put on one of the retreating giants to track them with... We need to invent some sort of magical tracking device... Like a magical GPS.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:25 am

I'm not worried about finding Jorgenfist; Dothan's a good enough researcher that she should be able to locate it for us. Either that, or she'll befriend Gunrus enough to convince him to show us the way. :)

However, I am worried that the giants returning to Jorgenfist will allow Mokmurian (or whatever his name is) to prepare for our assault. If the giants don't return at all, then M. will not necessarily know the reason. They could have been killed, or they could have deserted, or lots of other possibilities. But if we let the giants go free, the only way we would know for sure they haven't returned to Jorgenfist is to have someone/something follow them (like my animal companion bird), which we cannot do indefinitely. So either we let them go with the realization that they will probably return to Jorgenfist eventually, and Mokmurian will know who we are, or we kill them so they don't go back. I have no problem either way: while they may not be evil, they were certainly attacking Sandpoint with the intent of killing or causing harm to the residents, so they have to be prepared to face the consequences.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:52 am

Yeah, Kay would vote on pursuit with intent to kill at this point. The ones trying to escape are not likely to have any valuable information. The only one who had any info on the item they were looking for in Sandpoint was T-Douche, and he is fading fast unless we choose to stabilize him before pursuit. I have several spells and am flying, I could probably chase after them and kill them with Ear-Piercing Screams with a little luck on my own, frankly. Eldtor, Anna, and I, with Eldthor getting a bit more healing first and catching up, could probably finish them at range together if Sam wants to concentrate on healing Illian and Dwyn. (I have 7 spells available. Assuming that they fail a save on my EPS here and there, that would leave them dazed the next round and making no actions, so not running further. So 3D6 per spell, halved if they save, 7 times from me, before I would have to take out my bow and do things the old-fashioned way.)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:25 am

I am not influencing this decision making process.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 am

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:10 am

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:27 am

[Remember that Kay is usually over confident, but also remember that she didn't take a hit in this combat yet, so, despite the fact that she was scared for Illian and wants him out of harms way and is worried about Eldthor, she is pretty sure that three weakened giants are not too much of a threat to her right now. She is angry! Especially at the one that was throwing rocks at her husband and the one that broke Illian's leg!]
"El, do you have more potions? Healing spells? If so, use them and catch up! Anna, what's your spell situation? You don't have any more Fly spells available for yourself, do you! Dang! Sam, Dwyn, heal yourselves and Illian and wait for the three of us to finish these three off at a distance. Unless you guys don't think we can handle it! Two of those bastards are on my list of 'Giants who need to DIE!'"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:39 am

If it's 4-on-3, with Kay, Eldthor, Dwyn, and Anna against these remaining giants, we should try to take them out - but one at a time, and if the others close ranks to flank me, someone has to stand with me and fight. What ability do we have to up our defenses? I have two barkskin potions and am willing to share one if one of you can use it. I can also cast Shield of Faith, but all this stuff will take at least some time. Maybe it's possible to down a potion of CLW and another potion of Barkskin while still doing at least a partial move in pursuit.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Eldthor has 3 more potions of CMW, and plenty of arrows left (including one more giant bane arrow, two if he can recover the one that bounced off T-Diddy's armor at the start of the combat). He also has a CLW spell prepared.

As for range, I think their rock-throwing range is pretty good. I've been getting in close so I get the benefit of Point Blank Shot and Intuitive Shot (when within 30 feet), which improves my hit and damage rolls. But I do get a favored enemy bonus, and the range increment on my bow is 110 feet, so for every 110 feet away from the target I am, I take -2 to my to hits. My bow can fire from a maximum of 10 range increments (1,100 feet), but a thrown weapon (like their stones) can on be thrown to a maximum of 5 range increments, so I should be able to get safely outside of their range. I don't want to take a -20 penalty in order to do it, but going an increment or two away from them shouldn't be too much of a penalty for me while effectively making me harder for them to hit.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Dothan still has all of her cure spells available, as well as several healing potions.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:26 pm

If you're hanging next to me, will a barkskin stack with your other AC? I'm at 27.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't think I have anything that qualifies as natural armor right now... So I expect it would be fine.

Return to “Runelords”