Rebranding Effort :D

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.

The "Insert Title Here" Of The Rusty Dragon

Poll ended at Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Company
100%
Fellowship
No votes
Band
No votes
Brotherhood
No votes
Association
No votes
The Sphere Ensemble
No votes
Order Of The Song
No votes
The Great Lakes Avengers (my personal favorite Avengers team)
No votes
The Traveling Wilburys
No votes

Total votes: 7
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rebranding Effort :D

Postby Bluedevyl » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 pm

So we all seem to enjoy the "Rusty Dragon" idea... what should our formal name be?

I've added a couple options I saw tossed around, for the sake of completeness.

Poll closes the day before we play again.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rebranding Effort :D

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:10 am

There is one "<blank> of the Rusy Dragon" option missing, and that's "Order".
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:35 am

I think Company is the winner, though my second choice would have been "Order of the Song"... I like the poetry of that, but I like having the Rusty Dragon in it, partially for communication purposes. (It let's people know where to contact us. "If you want us, contact Ameiko at the Rusty Dragon and she will get the message to us." and it has reference to the "Rusty" dragon we just took down... I'd be willing to bet there aren't many adventurers around who have faced a dragon in these parts... It is something to be proud of!)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:56 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't think it really matters. We had two members object to it, so as far as I'm concerned, if there's two or three of us that don't like it, that's enough to kill it for me. With five votes up for Company, it's pretty much just a matter now of nobody objecting to it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:03 pm

By the way, I want Rusty Dragon amulets or pins or tokens or patches or something that we can use as team branding.

Something like this:

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:15 pm

I'll work something up and submit it soon... :)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Darn, we forgot one option (not that we would have selected it): Knights of the Rusty Dragon! Sure, none of us have actually been beknighted, and most of us are female (and "Knights and Ladies of the Rusty Dragon" doesn't roll off the tongue as well), but it does have a certain ring to it. I would probably still stick with Company of the Rusty Dragon though.

I love the logo possibilities!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:49 pm

Yeah, I tried to see if there was an image of whatever dragon Ameiko uses on her sign, but there's only two things that come up: a sign that looks like it's supposed to be in-game, but the dragon is essentially a line drawing copy of a brass dragon from some previous published work; and a brownish dragon head silhouette that is used on Paizo's Rusty Dragon Inn miniature/map sets. The first is just a dragon, and the second is a bit too modern for my taste (plus the back of the dragon's head is obscured by the wording). We can do better. But I'd be thrilled with a basic silhouette design that can be embellished or customized as desired. It doesn't have to be complicated (although it certainly could be).
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:17 pm

How about this:

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 am

Try a blue-ish (or actually blue) background and I think you'll have it...
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:56 am

I'll modify it tonight. I was thinking it didn't look right myself... To little contrast. I think I might make it an oval or octagonal shape as well...
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:27 am

I don't know how much trouble it is to change stuff up, but I completely agree with the blue background, and I would suggest trying the dragon slightly smaller in relation to the star. I think we need to see all eight points more distinctly. But only slightly smaller, because the dragon still needs to be the dominant feature.

Thank you for doing this, Zen. This is cooler than shit.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:34 am

Everything has its own layer, so it is easy to modify things. I can shrink the dragon a bit easily. (The star was originally black and white and I put a gradient layer with about 60% opacity in front of it, which gives it the 3D look. The cloud-like effects on the background are done with a layer over a solid color. It's like an onion... I'm wondering if some lightning effects in the background might be cool... hmmm... I'll bet I have a picture I could use for that...)
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:26 am

How about:

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:32 am

I like it.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:37 am

That's it. Dragon, star, octagon. If we ever use it as a flag or pennant, we ditch the octagon. But as a patch/pin/emblem... this is right on.

I may have color quibbles later, but this works really well. I may try to make this into line art.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:31 pm

I really like this. Well done!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Hmm, if we were a military order, I'd ask for a version with green and/or brown background/star colors for our rangers to wear in the wilderness...
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:29 am

Glad people like it! I realized that the colors on my monitor are really off while doing this... When I looked up the Adobe codes for Navy Blue to do the base color for the background and put it in, it looked pretty purple on my monitor... I think I need to adjust it. I do photography work on that monitor damn it! (I used to have a device that was supposed to help set the colors on the monitor but I was never sure if it worked right and I'd bet it doesn't work with Windows 10... I'll have to dig out my Color sheet from my website's printer and just make my screen create the same output to my home printer... That should be good enough. I hate it when I make things look right on the screen and they look wrong when I print them though....)

Return to “Runelords”