Level Up: Chapter X

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Level Up: Chapter X

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:38 am

So I'm trying to decide which Ranger archery feat to take for this level. The one I really want to take isn't a Ranger combat feat: Snap Shot, which allows me to threaten a 5 foot range using a ranged weapon, and has additional feats in a feat path that allow that range to increase to 10 feet and some other goodies.

Ones I'm considering are:
Far Shot: decrease the range penalty.
Improved Precise Shot: ignore anything but total cover or concealment.
Many Shot: when making a full attack, the first attack fires two arrows, each dealing separate damage including bonuses.
Point Blank Master: do not provoke AoO for using ranged weapon in melee.

PBM sounds kinda good, but not sure how much I'll be using my ranged attacks in melee in the coming sessions. MS or FS are good possibilities, MS probably a bit more use than FS. Concealment and cover haven't been much of an issue, so not sure IPS will be much use.

Thoughts?
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Re: Level Up: Chapter X

Postby Elle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:55 am

So it's basically a choice between being able to fire in more situations vs. being able to fire another arrow when you do fire? I would pick many shot unless you've been feeling hampered in ability to take shots during combat.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:14 am

I think it's really coming down to Many Shot vs. Point Blank Master. Many Shot will certainly get more use, since I've been making a lot of full round attacks. If combined with Rapid Shot and Dothan casting haste, that means I would get 4 attacks that fire 5 arrows, so I would be doing up to 5d8+20 damage per round, not including bonuses for buffs, favored enemy, etc.

On the other hand, Point Blank Master doesn't increase my chance of dealing damage, but it does DECREASE MY CHANCES of taking damage by eliminating the possibility of attacks of opportunity if I use my bow in melee combat. And after recent events, I'm all for decreasing my chances of damage whenever reasonably possible. Using my bow in melee combat was something I used to do quite often when we were fighting goblins and other medium-sized creatures; I've been trying to avoid doing that with the giants we've been facing, since being close enough to use my bow in melee means I'm close enough for the giants to squish me like a PBJ sandwhich in a Kindergartener's lunch sack! And since it looks like we may be facing mostly giants in the immediate future, I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it.

So Many Shot now, and save Point Blank Master for next ranger level, and pick up Snap Shot as my 11th level feat?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:28 am

Okay, I think I've talked myself into that plan. I'll take Many Shot as my ranger feat at this level, save Point Blank Master for later, and plan on taking Snap Shot at level 11 (followed by Improved Snap Shot at level 13, which increases the threat range to 10 feet).
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:26 pm

I'm torn. I'm training out of Disruptive, because I've never used it.

So I have two feats to choose. Which is fun.

I could take Blades Above and Below with Dwyn (if Dwyn is willing) and then I can flank from wherever I am instead of having to be across from an opponent. This means Dwyn and I both get the +2 attack for flanking. But it also means that I will get to add Sneak Attack damage to every successful attack. That's not nothing.

I don't have a lot of flashy showy feats, which is fine. The other feats I'm considering don't add flashy, or showy. Improved 2-weapon defense. +1 AC baby. Greater Weapon Focus. (More attacks!) Improved Critical (or whatever, the one that adds +4 to confirming threats). They're all very useful to me and my glass cannoned-ness.

I could also take Combat Expertise. Which would lower my attacks further, but improve my AC considerably. Not a bad idea for me.

I could also take Agile Maneuvers, and use my Dex to enhance my CMB. But I'm not sure how that's useful for a small person.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Kay definitely votes for You and Dwyn taking Blades above and Below, because that means her Gang Up feat is good whenever the two of you are adjacent to an opponent and she can just bounce in and get flanking and sneak attack bonuses at will. She would probably then tie the two of you at the hip... figuratively that is... literally would be kind of restrictive... and impossible considering the difference in height. (Though it would be very funny... I'd probably need Rope Trick to do that though...)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Dothan takes another level of Bard (natch). Level 10 means a bunch of skill related feats now double their bonuses, bringing her to:

Sing, Bluff, Sense Motive: +31
Dance, Wind Instruments, Acrobatics, Handle Animal, Diplomacy, Fly: +24
With her boots, her leaping is +33. Long jump means very little when the group can fly, but I still love that bonus.

I get two 4th level spells. Dimension Door is a sure thing. For the other, I'm considering Wandering Star Motes, but there's so many good spells at this level.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 pm

Sadly I do not get to take a feat this round.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Next level maybe? How do you feel about this?
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 am

I posted a little ref to it in the roleplaying thread. It will take me a while to add, obviously. But next time I get two feats. I had this whole map planned out with vital strike that ain't gonna happen now. I do want to pick up teleport tactician someday.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Well, it will make of us both fairly potent, since we most often operate together. If Hal had the space to invest I could also, occasionally, pair up with him. Whatever really.

I'm going to take Blades Above and Below for sure...and swap out Improved Critical (the +4 to threat one) for Disruptive.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:28 pm

So, in finalizing my spellbook changes, I noticed that we, at some point after Anna and Sam joined the Company, found a scroll of Cone Of Cold.

Does anyone object to Anna copying it into her spellbook to have an offensive spell available at 5th level? If someone else wants it, she will supplement when we reach Magnimar or someplace that might have access to that level of spells.

As to other spells she is choosing, I have selected Overland Flight and Teleport. Mobility should be less of an issue for us moving forward. With Teleport and a couple castings, I can move all of us up to 1,000 miles. I can bring up to 3 others with me at a time. With 3 5th level spells, I can move the entire company.

Thanks!!
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:56 am

Copying it into your spell book is a MUCH better use than just reading it for a one off! Go for it!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:42 am

I'm impressed that you even bothered to ask. Of course it's yours. No question.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Hmmphf. I might have eaten that scroll.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:18 pm

all yours
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:48 am

Dwyn is updated for level 10: Fighter 9 / Cleric 1. The biggest changes are simply the incremental increases in attack, damage, and defense bonuses, and an increase to AC that comes via 9th level weapon training. If I can someday acquire a +2 (or higher) weapon, I can add half that bonus to AC as well, but for now I only have a +1 weapon so I'm assuming it doesn't apply yet.

I also rolled a (1) for HP, out of 10 possible. I am obviously not taking a skill pt this round and instead will sink it into the whopping 2 HP added. :flame:

Next time, assuming we survive, will be a two-feat round, and I'm planning to take Spellbreaker and whatever Above/Below teamwork feat Illian just took.

Return to “Runelords”