Wand/Potion/Scroll clarification

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Wand/Potion/Scroll clarification

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:39 am

I typed out a huge question here about wands, potions, and scrolls, but by the time I was done typing it, I had found the answer in the Core Rulebook.

I was wondering for sure how you handle caster level and especially save DCs for these items.

Turns out that all spell variables for spell effects from magic items are determined as if the spell was cast by the lowest level caster who COULD cast that spell and with the lowest possible stat for casting that spell.

Therefore:
1st level spell -- CL 1 -- DC 11
2nd level spell -- CL 3 -- DC 13
3rd level spell -- CL 5 -- DC 14
4th level spell -- CL 7 -- DC 16

The exception to this rule is staves which acts as if the spell was cast by the wielder.

What this means though is that at our level, any offensive scroll or wand that allows a saving throw is essentially worthless, because of the shitty DC. And even the offensive spells that don't allow a save are super-weak, because they don't level up with us (my Shocking Grasp wand does 1d6, Kay casts it and does 5d6).

So this means that next time we're in Magnimar, I have a handful of items to trade in.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Wand/Potion/Scroll clarification

Postby Elle » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:27 pm

One exception might be if you have things that could be fused with a weapon, as in Weaponwand. Could permit a little extra damage or special damage? But yeah, most baddies are gonna make their saving rolls at this point. I cannot believe we have made it to level 10 already, but then I realize, wow, we have been at this a long time. I think this is the longest I've ever played a particular character, because my longest campaign in college was only 2 years.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.

Return to “Runelords”