Jorgenfist Planning

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Jorgenfist Planning

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 am

Creating this thread so DMDarcs can post information regarding what we find in our scouting of the areas around Jorgenfist, and we can plan how we want to proceed.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Jorgenfist Planning

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:34 am

From Eldthor's perspective, he was going to take time while he is shape-shifted into an eagle and investigate the high cave to the east of Jorgenfist, where nothing has been seen coming or going, to make sure there aren't hordes of dragons waiting to swoop down and slay them all.

His (current) preference is to try approaching Jorgenfist from one of the river caves. We know there are wyverns in the one cave, but don't anything about the other, higher cave, so he's thinking that higher cave might be the place to start.

Question: Do we have some divination spells or something we could employ on that cave to see if we're heading down the right path or heading towards a dead end?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:08 am

A group this large...and giants no less, needs to be fed and supplied. If this is a permanent holding, there should be caravans and traders coming at various points. I would imagine almost every day.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:36 am

Excellent point... We might be able to infiltrate via one of those...

Speaking of which, have we seen any supply shipments on the way here?
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:43 am

That's a good point about the supply caravans, but if the caravans are supplying the camps, and not the fortress itself, then it doesn't get us much closer to where we need to go.

I tend to side with Thor. Anna's preference is for the caves right now, even if there are some wyverns to deal with... speaking of, what do you all give as the odds that the wyverns are the "dragons" that Gunrus was talking about? It's possible that they can't differentiate between a 2 legged "dragon" and a 4 legged one. If they are, I'm WAY less worried than I was coming in...

I do think we can evade the lion's share of the camp giants, but I was really worried about the dragons.

The other thing is if we spend enough time, and the cave is cleared out, Anna can teleport the whole crew into the cave without ever having to expose the group to prying eyes. If Eldthor and Anna can scout the cave and determine that it's a safe place to start from, Anna can fly back and teleport half the group, then fly back and bring in the other half. It doesn't look that far, so a regular fly spell should do it. If it does, that would mean that she could use both castings for teleports instead of overland flight, and we can do it all in 1 day.

Thoughts?
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:55 am

I like that plan! I like it a lot! (EDIT: with the possible exception of my husband and a close friend getting eaten by wyverns if we miscalculated...)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Another question for DMDarcs (not sure if this was covered during the session last night or not; if it was, sorry): What did we see going on inside the fortress walls while doing our aerial observations? Any indications on size of the force we would be facing once inside the walls compared to outside?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:24 pm

The caravan route might be something to consider, but I'm not sure how long we'd need to wait around for the next caravan to come around. If they're planning on attacking Sandpoint soon, and in force, then my guess is they've been stocking up for awhile in order to prepare for the march, so there may not be any more caravans necessary/coming. Besides, I agree that it's most likely that the caravan, if there is one, is supplying the camps outside the walls, and don't actually end up getting inside the walls where we would need to be. That might allow us to get through the encampments and closer to the wall, but probably won't get us through the walls and into the fortress. Besides, if they're planning to wipe out demi-humankind on Varisia, I would guess they're not supplying their effort via caravans manned by said demi-humans, or at least not the sort that would be welcoming to strangers joining their caravan.

If we see a caravan of some sort approach during the couple days we're observing, then perhaps we can perhaps observe how things are handled and see if that's a route we want to pursue further, and perhaps intercept and question the departing caravan.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:25 pm

A dozen stone giants inside, plus two (presumably) frost giants. Plus the enormous, fire-tending giantess who is in the fortress during her off hours.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:26 pm

The caravan or some other form of Trojan horse may be our best option if the fortress doesn't come with a convenient escape-tunnel back door.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:34 pm

Question for Darcs: How do the giants handle waste? They've got 250-ish various giants and giant-sized animals around in a fairly small area. How do they manage latrine facilities? I'm guessing stuff mostly gets dumped in the river, but do they have actual latrines? Are there any streams flowing through or around the camp areas leading to the river? Is it just an open pit somewhere? I'm especially wondering about inside the fortress. Do those people have to leave the fortress to crap? Or else, maybe something leads down to the wyvern caves or some other tunnel/drainage system that lets it flow down to the river.

I don't expect this to lead to anything, but leave no stone (giant's turd) unturned, right? If we get lucky, maybe my Tywin Lannister idea wasn't so far off.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:52 pm

I will try and answer all these questions soon. I was in the hospital Fri & Sat; internet has been spotty at best on Sat and today.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:06 pm

So, first: nobody cares about this in the big picture. Get well. Answer whenever. take the week or holidays off if you need to. I was about to post a summary of questions when I saw your post, but it can wait. Let me know when you're ready. Rest and recover. Please.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:32 pm

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:39 am

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:49 am

Fuck all you guys. I have very important questions about giant shit, and I demand answers!

Uh... y'know... whenever. Hope you're feeling okay. Sorry.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:33 am

Yeah, I mean, what's a trip to the hospital compared to providing comments about a roleplaying game that could be played whenever we choose? It's already bad enough that he won't quit his job and become a full-time DM. If I win the lottery I suddenly have a new and great idea...
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:37 am

Oh God yes. Especially if I ever hit that half-billion jackpot... I'm hiring Darcs as my personal GM.

Although that's really no good unless I hire the rest of you on so that the whole group can play whenever we feel like it.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Hey, I can be bought!

Return to “Runelords”