Jorgenfist Planning

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Jorgenfist Planning

Postby Zen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:22 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 am

Anna can open with another Slow when we start next time... I believe, the last time I checked, that some movement had taken place outside the room and there's now a clear LOS to him.

It's seemed to work well on them thus far... perhaps stone giants have issues with Will saves.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:14 am

Yeah, it would be better to get the pick away from him. His CMD is probably so high I'd be lucky to pull anything on him besides a direct strike.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:17 pm

As that's not likely an option for Anna in the first activation, would a slow be better? Mage hand won't work as it's highly likely that the pick is more than 5 pounds and/or is likely magical.

Anna has access to telekinesis, but I'm not sure how advisable it is to burn a 5th level spell when someone could just pick it up before he activates.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:14 pm

If I go before him, I can try to get it with an acrobatics pass, but I don't remember the initiative order. I think I might be after him.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:55 pm

I checked it the other day, and I think only Anna and Sam activate before the giant, so it'll be up to us to get the pick away.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm

But if he leans down to pick it up, will that create some kind of attack of opportunity for both Hal and me and maybe somebody else?
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:06 pm

I believe that, generally speaking, picking up an item is considered a move action, which generally create AoOs... given that, going with a slow may be our best option, since it does the reverse haste thing, which will also give him a -1 to his AC and attacks while he is slowed.

Looking forward to Thursday!
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:28 pm

So, pretty much guaranteed to be late Thurs, dress rehearsal. I will be on eventually, my guess 11eastern
Pick on the ground. Giant still dangerous.
What I'm worried about is flight. If he runs away, our cover is blown.
In light of that, we have to unload as much as we can on him. If bull's strength is a thing and you think hitting is unlikely, then better to throw it at dwyn or hal who have stronger plus. It's dothan's game and has really made a difference.
I'm still sort of hoping he'll reach for the pick and invite all sorts of aoo, but that's a longshot.
We need to pour damage into him, magic missile, whatever, if we're taking him down. Use it or lose it.

I'm thinking btw, that at least until the alarms go off, every encounter has to be treated like our last. If that means two rooms a day, then ok.
Everything we're meeting here is in the big leagues as far as possible tpk. The redcaps are nasty, the lizard had dr, wyverns poison, this guy a triple digit crit. Every one of them could end any single char, and so far we've managed to pick them off in singles and pairs. If we get surrounded, we're done. In light of that, all out, every encounter. If we waste it, so what? we rest more often.

One caveat. This guy reads neutral. There is a high likelihood of running into non-combatant or turncoat encounters. Especially if they hear we're inside. This has been true since thistletop. The sihedron style is top down nasty, and at nearly every stage, there's someone who isn't entirely all in for world domination, who just wants to live his life. If we encounter that inside man and slaughter him, we'll lose an opportunity, but I'd still advocate for going full bore once we decide to attack. Maybe ask your thrall if there's someone whose loyalty to mokmurian might be soft.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Already asked. He was not helpful.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm not worried about him getting away. Anna's got access to Hold Monster while we're indoors and unlikely to fly anywhere. If things go south, that'll be first on the list. Still leaning towards slowing him first, takes away many of his options, including full attacks.

I agree though, that we need to be aware that there may be someone in here worth talking to before trying to murderize them. Many of the giants we've talked to have spoken about how Mokmurian is reverting back to the ancient ways, and how that's appealing talk. It's possible that there's a dissenter in the ranks, and we should remember that. Also of note, there's more than a hundred giants outside. If and when we're successful in taking down Mokmurian, they'll likely not take kindly to that. I'd be much happier if we could find an elder or something who could try to take control after Mokmurian has been dispatched, but first things first.

See/talk to you all Thursday.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Look, I tried parlay, clearly he doesn't understand the pirate code.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:33 am

So the current plan would be to NOT pick up the pick and just hit him with all we've got, right? My best bet would probably be to go with Shocking Grasp at this point. (And use the pliant gloves to not have to move from where I'm standing to do the touch attack... (I think...) That is probably still my maximum damage attack with the highest likelihood of success, since it is a touch attack. (It will probably take away other people's flanking bonus though. One of the reasons why I'd prefer to use my Gang Up feat to and have other people do the flanking. I don't always have a weapon in my hands or stay in threat position. Oh well...)
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:24 pm

So I had a last minute gig come up and I will now no longer be there on Thursday...or rather, if I am there, it will be later than originally planned. If you would like to use Illian as a punching-bag, that's cool with me. I trust Mike the least, Pat the most, so if we discard the highest and lowest scoring, I'd be okay with anyone else handling that.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:48 am

LOL.

I have a high school band concert to attend. It's right after the district solo & ensemble competition this past weekend, so they usually have each one of the ensemble groups perform their song, as well as a song or two from each of the three full bands. So it tends to run a bit long. As a result, I may be a little bit late joining the game.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49 am

It is OK, I will play all of your characters, and we will run away from this place forever. Nah, we are on a divine mission to destroy them now.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 pm

It's okay Dave. I'll take care of you tomorrow... it'll be just like Pat playing it, but if you die, you can blame me instead.

:cheers:
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:47 am

Tonight's the night!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 am

...that we'll make history!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.

Return to “Runelords”