COMICS CORNER!

Show off your creative endeavors: photography, stories, podcasts, painting, drawing, comics, poetry, sculpture, videos, ANYTHING. If you made it and you're proud of it, display it here. If you've got something to plug, do it here. We wanna see what you got!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Angry Geek D-Rod
Ein Berliner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

COMICS CORNER!

Postby Angry Geek D-Rod » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:37 am

Whatcha reading?!?!

After a few months of the stack piling up, I've been able to knock out a decent number of issues lately:

- Miles Morales Spider-Man is actually way better than Peter Parker Billionaire Tony Stark-ish Spider-Man in Space
- Deadpool is apparently a horseman in X-Men's new Apocalypse storyline. They seriously won't rest until Deadpool is in every single Marvel comic
- Grayson is finally ending soon. Everybody relieved? So say we all.
- STANDOFF (Avengers crossover), can they finally just call Maria Hill a villain? Her "walking the line" got really annoying a long time ago
- Meanwhile, Mark Waid's ANAD Avengers is top notch
- Finally done with Sam Wilson Wolf Cap storyline. It was fun to shout out to Wolf Cap in one issue, but dear god this lasted like half a year. All just so they can introduce "the new Falcon"? Yikes.
- Daredevil's been interesting, albeit slow moving. Keeping an eye on where this is going.

More to come as I get caught up on Batman and Superman comics..
Let's just say it moved me...TO A BIGGER HOUSE!!!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: COMICS CORNER!

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:57 pm

Walking Dead Compendium 3.

The Walking Dead compendiums are the only comics I've read in the last few years.

...Unless you count webcomics, in which case I keep up with the online sci-fi graphic novel Dicebox, which is amazing.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Stupid question(s):

I'm new to this "comic book" thing, but have always been a fan of the Super Hero movies. What is a good website to purchase comic books for a beginner? I know there is no way to catch up from the beginning, but are most series easy to pick up on what's going on? Are there any particular series that are better for us "newbies"? Would the "Rebirth", for example, be a good place to start? What kind of price range should I be looking at? I don't want to get taken advantage of because I don't know what I'm doing! My two oldest boys are huge DC fans so I'd like to get some good Batman and other DC series going for them. My two youngest are more into Marvel. (I see an internal 'Civil War' in my household in the near future!) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A shout out or answers to these questions in the podcast would elevate you to "God-Like" status at my house. The choice is yours ...

Thanks in advance & I love the podcast!!
Angry Geek D-Rod
Ein Berliner

Postby Angry Geek D-Rod » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Hey bud!

There's a few places to check out.

http://www.instocktrades.com/

This will allow you to buy volumes at cheap rates, so you can get entire storylines in one trade paperback.

https://www.comixology.com/

This is for digital comics. They ALWAYS have great sales for comics as low as 99 cents each.

Those are the two places we shop the most!

As far as jumping in,Rebirth might not be a bad place since they're "course correcting" a lot of their lines. Unless you go ALL the way back there will be references you won't necessarily understand.

Batman's New 52 run from five years ago is a solid place to start, but it still incorporates elements of the Pre-52 such as the existence of all the Robins, especially already having Damian, Bruce's son, as the current Robin.

I'd recommend just picking up essential stories here and there instead of trying to catch up completely.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:36 pm

Okay, now name me some "essential stories" that I should pick up in trade paperback.

If I'm brand new to comics and you want to give me something that will get me hooked, knowing that my background is TV and movies and general superhero/comics knowledge, where would you start me?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Browsing instocktrades.com is a little daunting for a newbie! I picked up a couple just to give it a whirl but it seems like there are SOOO many variations, especially of Batman & Spider-man, that it's hard to really know what would be a good starting place. I bought 'Batman Chronicles Volume 1" & "Civil War Amazing Spider-man" - mostly because I liked the cover art. lol Probably not the best way to shop but I'm a marketer's dream!!
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Okay - I cannot find actual copies of any Rebirth titles except on Amazon & they want $10 or so. I don't want digital copies, I want the real thing! I could not find any on instocktrades.com. Any suggestions??
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:14 pm

One more & I'll patiently wait for answers ... or the entire podcast that you've dedicated to my comic book stupidity.

My favorite DC character is Aquaman. Don't ask me why, even I'm not really sure! Something to do with marine life, I suspect. Anyway, what are your suggestions to get started on comics with him? I really like the idea of several issues being released as "books", but there seems to be soooo many options I don't know where to begin! Any ideas would be welcomed!

Also - I read there may be an Aquaman movie scheduled for 2018 - how great would that be?!?
Angry Geek D-Rod
Ein Berliner

Postby Angry Geek D-Rod » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:16 pm

My DC bias is gonna scream pretty loudly right now but here are some essentials:

The Death of Superman
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: The Killing Joke
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Astonishing X-Men (by Joss Whedon)
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (might be the best collection I've ever read)
Secret Wars (original)

instocktrades.com will have most of these, but that site is dedicated to trades only, meaning the collections of an entire storyline. Finding older individual comics is harder and can be really expensive too.

For Rebirth, you have the 80 page one shot that is available at all comic book shops now as well as all the Rebirth comics being tied to all the characters (Batman Rebirth, Superman Rebirth, Titans Rebirth) you can get those at your comic book shop as they're released as well or go to dcbservice.com. It's a sister site of instock and comixology where you can get new single issues at cheap prices delivered to your home. We got the two DC Rebirth bundles of all the #1's.

I'll admit I don't really read Aquaman, but I do love Geoff Johns and he had a run on Aquaman at the beginning of the New 52. Just make sure you get the TP (Trade Paperback) and not the HC (Hardcover) because HC will cost more.

Here's the collection of the Aquaman at the beginning of the New 52

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/AQUA ... RENCH-(N52)/FEB130206

Enjoy! Let me know what you think!
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:10 am

Thank you, Sir!! This should keep me busy for awhile. I'm patiently awaiting a number of your suggestions to come in the mail!
Angry Geek D-Rod
Ein Berliner

Postby Angry Geek D-Rod » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:48 am

Irish Fan!

How are you liking your comics so far??
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Return to “Nerd Love (show off your stuff!)”