[GB] 1-26-18 Last Minute Roll20 Playtest

A board game of ancient Greek gods and heroes battling it out on the field of sport!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[GB] 1-26-18 Last Minute Roll20 Playtest

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 am

Hey everyone, I'm going to be hopping on Roll20 tonight to mess around again, if anyone would like to join me. It's primarily going to be a generic hero godless play test, to further refine the Sportsball part. This may change depending on who shows up and what we want to do.

I'm going to jump on Roll20 around 6:30 MST and stay for a while.

I really need to clean up that tabletop and adjust some things.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Wowie
Pastry Artisan

Re: [GB] 1-26-18 Last Minute Roll20 Playtest

Postby Wowie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:05 pm

I've used roll20 all of once, but sure, I'll give it a shot.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Think of it as a 2D version of Tabletop Simulator and you're good to go!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 pm

On Your Turn

Heroes perform actions, and on your turn, your Hero can do the following things.

A. Take a Move Action
B. Perform a series of Hero Actions

You may choose to take the Move Action before, or after, the Hero Actions.

Move Action

Your Hero may move 1 hex on their turn as a Move Action.

If the Hex that you are moving into contains terrain or barriers, you must pay a cost in HP equal to the number of tokens in that hex. Terrain that is favored to your Hero does not count toward this cost.

Wait Action - You may choose not to take a move action on your turn. By choosing to wait instead, you may restore 1 HP to your HP pool.

Here are the Hero Actions we're going to use (Pulled from the Heroes Thread):

Rest - Take no Hero Action this turn and restore 1 HP.

Sprint - 2 HP - Move 1 additional hex. You must also pay the cost associated with moving into that hex as if this were a move action.

Kick Godball - 2 HP - If the Godball is uncontrolled and adjacent to you, you may kick it 1 hex into one of the 3 hexes away from you.

Throw Godball - 2 HP - If you control the Godball, you may throw it to any hex that is up to 2 hexes away. Any Hero in that hex automatically catches the ball. Draw a straight line from the center your Hero's hex to the target hex. If this line crosses a hex, or side of a hex containing a Hero, that Hero may intercept the Godball by paying 2 HP. (Pictures will make this very clear.)

Shove - chargeable - Hero in adjacent hex is pushed 1 hex into one of the 3 hexes away from you. If they control the Godball, they maintain control of the Godball.

Knock Down - chargeable - Hero in adjacent hex is knocked down. If they controlled the Godball, it falls into a hex of your choosing.

Grab - chargeable - Your hero grabs the target Hero. On their next turn they must pay 2 HP for their move action and they may not Sprint.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:57 pm

MOVING THROUGH OCCUPIED HEXES!

You may move through an Opponents Hex. A Hero counts as a token for purposes of determining the movement cost in that hex. You may not voluntarily end your movement in an occupied hex. If, for some reason, generally a God Power, you /do/ end your movement in that hex. The Hero already occupying that hex may move you to any adjacent hex.

Yes, this means you have to use a sprint action to move through an occupied hex. So it will cost AT LEAST 3 HP to perform this maneuver.

We don't need Block. A successful GRAB already constitutes a Block. (It prevents Sprinting.)
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 pm

So fun! Will write things down tomorrow! Maybe. Probably.
Wowie
Pastry Artisan

Postby Wowie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 am

Sorry I didn't show up. Wowie.exe has crashed.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 pm

No worries, man! There will be more of these. And sometimes I'll even plan ahead!

Mike: How did you feel about the way these particular Hero Actions worked, since it's a different system than what you used in your last playtest?

Flame: You tried some of these before, do you think that these are enough Hero Actions or that we might need one or two more?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Refresh - Nice to know you can always count on the 1HP to start the round

Move - included here for completeness

Sprint - I really don't see how we live without this now. You'll also note by its placement, I think it should be included in move actions. You can either Move (1 hex, 0HP, pay impediment cost for the hex you move into) or Sprint (2 hexes, 2HP + impediment cost for BOTH hexes, cannot move through impassable hex, CAN move through opponents which count as a barrier like any other, cannot end move on an occupied hex). Putting this here though, would mean you could Sprint now but still get your Rest reward on the Action phase. But that also means that on ANY turn, if you don't take an action, you could always Refresh, Rest, Sprint, because even if you start with 0, you can always get 2 if you need it.

Wait - reward for not moving. Nice.

Kick - I didn't use this one, but others did, and I like it. Wasn't overpowered by any stretch.

Throw - Same as Kick. I understand Flame's concern that Sprint+Throw means potentially moving the ball 4 hexes in a single turn, but I'm okay with that for now, pending further testing.

Shove - No problems. I like being able to Shove a teammate in the team-up version.

Knockdown - Still good.

Grab - Grab is our stopping/blocking power at this point. It didn't even occur to me to Grab someone in front of me to prevent them from moving THROUGH me. I don't think the current version of Grab with its costs/details/defense/etc is exactly right, but we're getting very close. It worked well as-is, so whatever its ultimate form, I know it will do well.

Rest - Again, reward for non-action. This was nice to have when I wasn't in a position to be productive. At least then I didn't feel like I was wasting potential. Although a couple times, Perseus was caught in a position of having full HP and still having to rest, which means he wasted his potential by not seeing where the action was going and getting ahead of it.

The balance of HP in this game is going to be super-precarious. Because the coolest moments are the ones that aren't sure things. When I hit you with something and your just low enough on HP that you could defend against it, but that would deplete you, and maybe you want to choose not to defend so that you'll have the HP ready for a counter-offensive.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:31 pm

I think we have enough, and I agree with all Mike's points.

We will need to watch out for sprow, but I think it's supported by the fact any players can intercept.

I don't think it's wise to add on more actions. As it is, we have a lot of possible combinations of actions, so that often if we find we want X action, but it turns out that it's possible to do so in the current frameworks.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Godball”