[Movie] Under the Shadows

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[Movie] Under the Shadows

Postby Kyle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Okay- I know a lot of you aren't going to watch this because it's a period piece horror movie set in 1980s Iran-- and it's not in English. But it's on Netflix and I really enjoyed this movie a lot-- just make sure you watch it with subtitles (I hate all dubbing). The best way I can pitch it is by talking about the similarities between this movie and Babadook. While they're two completely different movies in feel and tone, the comparisons are good. Both are about a mom left home alone to watch a small child when weird things start happening in the house to make her think it's haunted. While the Babadook was about a woman's struggle with the grief of having lost her husband, Under the Shadows is about a woman struggling with the new Iranian regime's oppression of women. It's such a smart, well acted movie. I want anyone else to watch it just so I can have someone to talk to about it.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: [Movie] Under the Shadows

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:22 am

Short version: saw it. Liked it. Low budget period horror piece in 1980s Iran that focuses on real human drama against the backdrop of potentially supernatural events. Everything past this point may be slightly spoilery.

I watched it last night. There is so much to like here. The comparison to Babadook is apt. Both of them are about moms dealing with a young child on their own under massive stress while maybe being haunted by a spirit that wants their child.

The 1980s Iran stuff was fascinating. I can only assume it's an accurate portrayal, but it felt real, and I was transfixed by the details of it.

If you are watching this just as a horror film, prepare to be disappointed. They did some amazing work with super low budget practical effects, but the horror part of the tale was pretty predictable and by-the-numbers. The real reason to watch is to see a modern, independent woman struggle against a world that rejects her existence.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 am

Agreed. I love watching stuff that I never have really seen before. And there's something jarring about seeing a modern, urban city under the conservative Iranian control where things like VCRs are outlawed by the cultural committee. Fascinating.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby El Jefe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm adding it onto my list of things to watch, since I'm due to be laid up with an old, broken body for the next few days to a week.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:37 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:08 am

I decided that the best thing my uninsured self could do was to forget I'm a chain-smoking, PA Fat Dutchman. The only logical thing to do at that point was to step in front of the 125 pound piece of equipment falling down the stairs at the temp job. Nobody else got hurt, which was the goal.

I got some awesome bruises, a bruised/slightly dislocated rib, and did some interesting things with my back. So I'm taking it easy and catching up on some viewing for the next week.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Damn dude. I hope you're not the one shelling out for health care.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 am

Workman's comp covered.

So I finally got to watch the film. My review is pretty similar to Mike's thoughts. The horror side works for what it is, but it's not really a "horror flick." The Iranian side of the equation seemed pretty solid, and I thought the main star acted it phenomenally. I was curious, so I poked at an Iranian fellow I knew from the Battletech community. He and his sister came to the States in '89. He's going to try and watch it with his sister. Hopefully I'll get something to post/link from him.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:53 am

I'd be interested in that update. Thanks, Jeff.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:40 am

That will be interesting!

And I hope you heal up well!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “Nerd Talk”