Monthly Meetings

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Monthly Meetings

Postby Cazmonster » Thu May 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Whoever thought cross disciplinary meetings involving management was a good idea should be crushed to death under the boulder of Sisyphus or drowned in the wine that Tantalus had to stand it.

I have wasted scores of hours over my IT tenure listening to these things. All they do is make me angry.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: Monthly Meetings

Postby Tahlvin » Thu May 19, 2016 8:55 pm

But you have to .
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu May 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Oh - it's good that that was Weird Al.

Also, when those words show up in meetings, we should be allowed to shoot the speaker with BB guns.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri May 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Obviously you need to reach out from your silo more often.

I didn't have a proper emoticon, so this is basically me sitting there in the meeting:

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Fri May 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Yep - whichever asshole thought it was okay to use silo to refer to anything aside from missiles or grains should have been kicked to death by Terry Crews wearing stiletto heels.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 am

But see, they're separate AND phallic. And nothing else in this world could better convey the idea of separate things needing to be combined. Just think about how awesome it would be if you could get your silos all brought together such that their contents began mixing!

Reaching out kills me even more though. Like calling the hotline or admitting you finally need help with your problem. When people thank me for reaching out to them because I sent them a routine work email I seriously mark them 10% stupider in my mind.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sat May 21, 2016 3:13 pm

The other term that makes me want to slap the taste out of people is when they intend to 'take offline' a point of business during a meeting.

You aren't online, assbags. You're talking to each other face to face. You are going to 'table' the point of business.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sat May 21, 2016 6:47 pm

My personal hated terms from my work: rigorous; drill down; and evidence-based.
Reel on a repeating loop
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sat May 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Drill down is fucking stupid. You don't have a drill. You have a mouse. You're navigating menus. Just say that.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat May 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Oh goodness, nobody has ever tried to take it offline in a meeting with me. I would just be sitting there agape.

Another annoyance is data driven. No, data is not doing the driving. You and your deliberative judgment are at the wheel, ONE HOPES. Data merely informs. It just sits there. It doesn't even have the strength to interpret itself, much less drive. Probably the people at your office are drilling down so they can be data driven. To escape the silo.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat May 21, 2016 9:27 pm

In most cases, it is personal judgment doing the driving, and data is there for later justification.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun May 22, 2016 11:53 am

I've begun to ask the speakers (trainers, as if we are dogs?) who come to staff development whether they can explain what they just said in "non Orwellian language," and apart from the amusement value because most (sigh) of my colleagues get it, I also think it's the reason they're asking me if I plan to retire soon.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Mon May 23, 2016 7:45 pm

Mu hahahahahaha! Make them fix their culture so it works for you!

Return to “Nerd Talk”