Response to Kavanaugh

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Response to Kavanaugh

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:39 pm

For me, it's not that conservatism has lost me, it's that the Republican party has lost me, in large part because they are no longer really conservatives. I was always more of an independent/libertarian, with liberal social leanings and conservative fiscal leanings. But the moment the party allowed Trump to even get on the primary ticket, without really a lick of conservative credentials, they lost me.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Well one good thing happened: after my husband watched some of the thing, he realized I have been right about this all along. And he discussed it with one of his bosses at work and his boss is totally on my side, though there are nuances I won't get into to protect his privacy.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:13 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:20 pm

There. Flake and Murkowski have joined with Democrats in calling for an FBI investigation before proceeding to a vote.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:36 pm

I think many of the gop senators are worried about the chance of losing the senate (538 gives it about a 30% chance). The longer Kavanaugh takes, the less likely he is to get in and the less time there is to start over.

Plus, Trump hates to back down openly. I'm not saying we should give in because of all this, just thinking about how lathered up they are.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Last edited by mimekiller on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Plus Collins and Manchin. Don't forget to give them credit.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:35 am

Fifty year olds who have tor remind us that they were their high school valedictorian have deep issues.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:15 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:49 am

I agree, Iantha. This move by the "moderate" contingent is to provide cover for their votes. Whichever way the FBI investigation seems to lean is the way they will vote and then use that to abdicate any personal responsibility.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 pm

The only people who think throwing a beer at someone you think is in UB40 would make you less likeable are the people who've seen Hamilton multiple times and are still active in the local PTA years after their youngest graduated.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm

One of the biggest factor is lack of character development. If you look at it closely, he's pretty behaving like someone who never have seen any consequences, ever. Got away with a lot of things without any consequences.

In his statements, he just turned things around against him. There are many moments where he could have denied, but shown that he learned from his experiences with alcohol, and so on...instead, he just attacked, attacked, attacked...
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:57 pm

He's horrible, objectively horrible to anyone who has a functioning brain and a shred of honesty left in their body, and I assume he's already been confirmed or will be tomorrow. I am not even watching the news at this point. I always thought it was kind of silly for a white woman with all the advantages to complain about feeling like a second-class citizen in this country, but no more. Yes, there are worse positions, but there is no doubt that my daughters and I have lesser, shit status in this country right now and I can't even tell you how it enrages me with the kind of quiet, tidal-wave rage that motivates a person to do sit-ups in the bathroom at night. People in this country are really stupid and nasty sometimes, and I'd like to think we're moving in some roughly forward-facing zig-zag from a past full of sins toward something better, but I am wrong about that and we are going backward. There it is.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:57 am

There may be a surprise no vote from Colorado. But I am not holding my breath.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:49 am

Me either. I'll be surprised if he's not confirmed. All this drama is good for both sides, they love it. I feel like all my Republican relatives owe me an explanation that I will never, ever receive. I find it increasingly difficult to accept any of them on a moral level. I used to be able to do it by reminding myself that they care about abortion and they think that's just as wrong as anything else. But that's no longer an adequate excuse for the b*******. These people would like to hurt me, assuming they didn't realize it was me personally. I can't really accept that anymore. It's basically, explain why you don't want to hurt me, or don't come to my house for the holidays. There are some serious problems coming up because of this. No I will not break bread with your MAGA relatives anymore, much less cook it for them myself. Maybe I would if I was Jesus. I'm not.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Jesus would overturn tables like he did in a temple.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, Trump may get two justices but at least there's no possibility of third. Now, to take a big drink of coffee and check RBG's age...
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Eh, let's see what five or ten years post Roe v. Wade overturn does for the political landscape. Coming soon: a lot of ugliness.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 am

Disagreements continue here. The debating points: if he hadn't been a liar, then it wouldn't have been disqualifying as an action in and of itself. Like, he was a minor. The Yale allegations are found more believable. But also not disqualifying. Late-hour "uncorroborated" complaints after three decades are disqualified, due process yada yada. So, unless I could get Witnesses from that actual time period to corroborate the details, presumably guy who hit me in the face would, for example, be excused provided he didn't lie, explained that he had seen things differently and was sorry, etc. As you may imagine, this is a difficult pill to swallow. Some of the points being made here are not bad points and I'm able to see that in the abstract. Also, I'm generally to blame for a) talking on the internet, which is dumb and wrong, and b) attaching moral significance to my opinions.

Return to “Nerd Talk”