Movie Review Thread

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Movie Review Thread

Postby WillyGilligan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:03 pm

I like the Irish kid from that movie. There’s an attempt at an urbanization metaphor that lands pretty hard. Other than that, usual YA shenanigans.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:14 pm

The Oath(streaming on Hulu)
a unanmed US president initiates a new policy where a US citizen signs a loyalty oath that gets them a break on taxes and a nice tip of the hat to the greatest country in the world. People have one year to sign it, the last day to sign it is Black Friday. This movie mostly takes place over a Thanksgiving holiday as a family with radically diffrent views on politics handles it.

AMAZING FILM FROM START TO FINISH. Funny, thrilling, just amazing. Please do yourself a favor and watch it.

***** out of *****
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Sector 9 - I'm not really sure I have the title right and too lazy to Google it. I was thinking about actually forking over the money necessary to rent Cranford season 2. I object to this on principle, so you know I was in a low place desirous of British Period Drama when this happened. Instead I decided to maintain my self-respect and play that Bodyguard show some of you have recommended. It scared me and I kept waiting for something to blow up, which is not a feeling I like while watching TV, but I feel like it has potential so I'm going to keep at it.

HOWEVER, the point of this movie review thread is that while I was in mid episode of The Bodyguard and had to go put the bather into bed for the night, someone else came into the room and turned on this movie called something like sector 9, because my being halfway through an episode of a show is no impediment to anyone just watching whatever the hell they feel like. It's a movie about aliens who are living among people on earth, and then a bunch of s*** happens. I was so nonplussed to have this playing, and yet I watched, unable to turn away from it for some weird reason. It's absolutely gruesome and disgusting on every level, and is intentionally both hilarious and sickening, but in an unexpected way it has something deep and profound to offer. Life, death, identity, compassion, cruelty, justice, freedom, the human condition, joy, frustration... all were covered with a certain grace and insight. It was a weird experience. Maybe I was just hoping for a certain type of experience and if I couldn't get it with a British Period Piece then I was going to get it through aliens. Probably all of you would like it a lot.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu May 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Are you talking about District Nine? The one about alien refugees living in Joburg, South Africa?
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu May 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Yeah, District 9 was flippin amazing, and I'm glad you got something from it even in your frazzled state. It is not quite a British period piece, but it does have something profound to offer.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm

That sounds right yes. Sector district schmector, schmitrick. I thought it was rather profound and moving to be honest, in the midst of all the ridiculous Gore. I like how my Google Assistant has capitalized that word just in case I'm talking about the vice president of yore. oh nice work Google assistant and capitalizing your own name but we all know your level of competence here. In fact I'm not going to correct what you just did so we can see. If anybody could create a sentient Google Assistant I'm pretty sure it's me.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon May 27, 2019 7:33 am

THE PERFECTION(2019, Netflix film)
You really need to check out this horror netflix original holy cow is it good, ideally you watch it blind like I did(a auto trailer played 5 seconds of footage before I played the film but that was it) If you need SOMETHING to hang your hat on before you watch play its about a woman who reconnects with a friend after having her professional music career sidelined by being a caretaker for her mother for close to a decade. If you need more then that well Steven Weber hangs brain....twice!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon May 27, 2019 8:33 pm

Holes

Loved it. I was telling my kid at the beginning, that is Shia LeBeef there, and she was like, No Way, No Way is that him, but... vindication arrived. Anyway, loved it.
It's a dry comedy, yet touches various universal themes of meaning, meaninglessness, good and ill fortune, virtue, agape, etc.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue May 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Crazy Rich Asians

A mediocre romantic comedy improved by the appealing quality of the actors, but worsened by the idiocy of ... all the rest. Awkwafina is so funny and has so much more film potential than this yet is made to literally chew all of the scenery while other serious, excellent actors are literally slapped in the face with this script.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu May 30, 2019 6:20 pm

“The Outlaw,” produced, directed & butchered up by Howard Hughes. Yes, that Howard Hughes. His claim to fame? he invented a brassiere for Jane Russell. The movie? Wretched beyond words.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu May 30, 2019 8:10 pm

John Wick 3 continues having amazing action, but they can't stop themselves from exhausting the audience by the end. Each individual scene is a technical triumph and Mark Dacoscos is surprisingly amazing in his character portrayal. However, the world stops making sense if you think at all. So don't. Just enjoy, hit pause every 20 minutes or so to let your mind breathe, and you'll have a great time.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Yesterday
I really enjoyed it. We don’t go see movies at the theater very often, just a couple times a year, and seldom on the opening weekend. Having recently been to a concert of one of the remaining Beatles, this was really fun to watch. Really, how many bands, if they disappeared tomorrow and you had to remember their songs’ lyrics by memory only, would you be able to put together a very big list of songs? It’s a bit of a romance wrapped in musical nostalgia. It hit the spot for me, my wife, and our daughter.

Spoilers:
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:23 pm

well now it makes sense lol
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Can't relate because I don't have a brother. When you don't have a brother, maybe you feel like anybody who killed your brother and raped you would be high on the Revenge and Do Not Marry list!
:cheers:
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Mirage on Netflix

Spanish time loop movie. So good. Why do the Spanish make such great time travel movies? 5 out of 5.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:43 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 pm

I've been actively injured by watching something with Reese Witherspoon, I think called "home again". That's right I'm not capitalizing it; as I say, it injured me! Reese plays a woman who just moved "home again" to her mom's house with her 2 daughters, after having separated from/being dumped by her weirdo husband. For some reason she takes in three men in their late twenties who are trying to write a script and make a movie. Pretty sure that happened only because whoever wrote this movie narcissistically thought characters who make movies would be a good idea, though they almost never are. Almost never, and this sadly was not the exceptional case.

Rom-coms are supposed to follow at least some vague rules. In particular it should be clear who the hero of our story is, or at least it should be clear which two characters are vying for the attentions of our heroine. In this one there were three different dudes and it was not at all clear who the hero was supposed to be. One of them eventually becomes a sex partner but, contrary to normal expectation, that resolves absolutely nothing. Eventually Reese decides she wishes to divorce her now ex-husband - I'm telling you this because nobody could watch later and be disappointed that such deep dramatic details were divulged, and if there is such a nobody, that nobody totally deserves disappointment for conceptual crimes against literature. The movie has no particular plot, but to the extent that it tries, a lot of hay - and I mean enough hay to power farming operations in an entire Tri-State area for years - is made of the fact that Reese's small child requires the presence of one of these three guys at her school play, so that she can function. Don't ask me. This movie is s*** and it made me measurably stupider to watch it, but even more importantly it gave me stomach cramps! Really! I have had to take a Motrin and a Tums! Wtf. Cramps!
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:14 am

Wow I've never seen The New World before. This is beautiful. Definitely looks like untouched Virginia. It looks great. I don't think the Powhatans were this naive but whatever.

Return to “Nerd Talk”