Democrats

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Democrats

Postby mimekiller » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:18 pm

DNC coming out with some requirements that will hopefully whittle down the candidates from 20 to 7, Andrew Yang quick to point out that good, based on this I immediately qualify and then the DNC goes actually Yang...No. lol THE DNC IS GOING TO BLOW IT HAHHAHA WHAT A PACK Of ASSHOLES
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Who is Andrew Yang? Anyway it should be that turnout increases by some bazillion percent and that a good 65-70% of voters completely rout every single Republican candidate, whether incumbent or newcomer, and if this doesn't happen it won't be because the DNC blew it, but because people in this country are fucking stupid or the election is fixed.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:48 pm

It’s not just about turnout, but turnout in the needed places. Get a 65% increase in the DEM turnout in CA and NY, and it means nothing; Trump can still easily win the electoral college. Get an increased turnout in DEM voters in the key swing states, and that will make the difference. But I’m not sure they’re correctly focused on that.

And hate on the EC all you want, but it’s the only thing that matters for 2020. Go ahead and try to amend the constitution to abolish it, but that isn’t happening before 2020. Play the game with the rules you have, not the ones you want. This ain’t D&D where home brew rules are welcome.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Andrew Yang is a fairly popular candidate that routinely polls in the top 5 but he's not DNC approved, much like Bernie, so he's hamstrung at every lvl and don't diminish the impact of playing dirty pool with people that fire up the base and killing enthusiasm going into 2020 by making it seem like the people don't matter and suck it up and let Biden slip a hand down the back of your pants and feel his bony fingers tickle your most intimate parts and ya best ENJOY IT

Oh its fine and Biden AND Trump seem to be quickly sliding into dementia!

https://abc7ny.com/politics/trump-biden ... s/5444468/
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:32 pm

BERNIE melting brains of the worst people by going on the Joe Rogan podcast.

Of course Joe is on the CANCELED list because he will talk to any person of note no matter how much of a un person they are.

By allah I will never understand people conflating Alex Jones doing X and Joe Rogan wanting to talk to Alex Jones about X as the same thing.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:37 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:33 pm

There's no information there. There's only 585 billionaires in the U.S. in the first place, so the number they have donor figures for? This is maybe 100-200 individuals spread across 20 candidates. Plus I don't see where (if anywhere) their original numbers come from or what those numbers exactly are.

Let's assume their characterizations of billionaire preferences are correct. What we learn is that Buttigieg is their favorite (young, unformed, malleable) and that they HATE Bernie. Of the major candidates, they dislike Warren almost, but not quite, as much as Bernie, but Bernie is SO anathema to them that they will even support Warren if that's what it takes. They're playing a very strategic anyone-but-Bernie game.

But c'mon... the Off-Guardian is a site literally founded by trolls because they were all banned from the Guardian's comment section. They're known for trafficking in pseudoscience and conspiracy theories, and facts are secondary. This is on display in the linked article in their mischaracterization of Warren's voting record in order to make her some sort of pro-industry hawk to fit their narrative.

Honestly, man, typing all of this took way longer than applying the bare minimum of critical thought and then doing 4 Google searches to fact-check.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:09 am

I'm at a loss for what this is supposed to mean. It is beyond clear which party and candidate is supporting the billionaires of our world, period. If "their" only motive was self-interest they would just make sure Trump got re-elected.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:21 pm

I just don't buy it at all, zero stock, because Elizabeth Warren or some of the others would be a lot more effective at actually pushing policy that damaged the financial interests of the wealthiest, and I'm sure they get that. In other words they understand that Bernie appeals to people but is not going to have a legislative sled-ride from either party to do things he most wants to do. Elizabeth Warren by contrast knows how to bring a hammer down on the investment banks of the world, and I would assume that makes them tremble more.

So my point is I think billionaires who support Democrats are like anybody else - they have some reason to do it that isn't just reducible to pure self-interest.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:40 pm

I'll agree to that. My point was that the article was pointless, and even if you bought into their basic premise, it doesnt lead where they claim it does.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 pm

If and when these campaigners drop out, what they can do in 2020:

Bullock - Run for Senate (MT)
Pete - Run for Governor (IN)
Beto - Run for Senate (TX)
Julian - Run against Beto (TX)
Warren - be the winner's VP
Blasio - fix the subways

Makes me feel bad for Texas democrats. They have so little room for advancement.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:30 pm

You're right its prob fine and so is this

https://theintercept.com/2019/09/06/exx ... e-climate/
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Well no shit, of course they do. But so what? People with money spend that money in protection of their own interests. Now you have to make a point.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:16 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:22 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Madeleine Albright has donated to Elizabeth Warren. If you're concerned about the future of US foreign policy, you should give that fact some thought.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Harris is still my #1. She has that 18-charisma star power a person needs to attract attention in this role, and I think she's smart enough and wise enough to do a lot of good in office and protect our interests. I do like Warren but think she could more easily lose... Not sure why but I worry she's, like, too rational, too sane, too smart for this crowd. So few people pick a leader based on actual policies or plans. They just want to get a feel for the person and if the right emotional buttons are hit, and they feel comfortable with that person taking charge, then that's who they're going to support. I like Klobuchar but I don't think she has the it-factor either. Trump obviously has the it factor for his people, but for the life of me how could anybody be comfortable having him in charge, even if they agreed with him or liked him? It would be so great if people would, just this one time, vote with their damn pocketbooks and the security and well-being of their children and grandchildren in mind.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 pm

HC is a fucking joke who is already making excuses for losing ANOTHER presidential race.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/politics ... index.html

Return to “Nerd Talk”