When Did You First Meet Mike Jones?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

When Did You First Meet Mike Jones?

Postby Eliahad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:13 pm

When did you first meet Mike Jones?

In person, I first met Mike Jones in Red Cloud Nebraska at a showing of Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid." I was in the band. That was what, four years ago now? Nope. Almost five. FIVE!

BEFORE THAT. I first met Mike Jones on Shadowrun's Deep Resonance forums. That had to have been close to twenty years ago. TWENTY YEARS! It's crazy. Oh wait, it might have only been nineteen or eighteen. Carry on. I'll be back in a couple years.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Re: When Did You First Meet Mike Jones?

Postby Cazmonster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:24 pm

I have yet to meet Mike Jones in the flesh. That is a fact that I regret.

I too met Mike Jones on the Deep Resonance Forums just months before Barb and I got married in 1998.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Yes, I started on Deep Res in 1998 just after the birth of my second and the start of my current job. It's been 18 years.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:44 pm

I got to know Mike in 2008 (I think). Never met him in person. Someone (don't remember who) recommended Animalcast to me, so I started listening.

It's too bad the talented half of the Animalcast is no longer podcasting.
Reel on a repeating loop
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm definitely losing it because I can't remember for sure. Correct if this is wrong. I think it was November 1998 and that, having recently become engaged to Ron, I was on an out-of-town trip with him to a family Thanksgiving in a place near where Mike and Nadia live. Ron insisted that we go to their house WITHOUT calling first even though they had small children (had you just recently produced child #2? maybe... seems so. I remember holding child #2 and pronouncing him beautiful, which he was). Mike, Nadia: I just want you to know we argued extensively about whether to call first. It was really important to him that we shock you by suddenly appearing on the doorstep with no prior phone call. He also instructed me to go to the bathroom at some point and steal a particular picture if I saw it hanging on the wall. I was like, what? He specifically instructed me to steal it. I mean, we were engaged. What was I going to do? I wouldn't jump off a bridge if he asked me to, but it was like doing a trust fall. Steal this picture if you see it. Don't get caught. You know me, I'm down to ride. Everything worked out in the end and balance was restored. I believe we next saw one another at the rehearsal dinner for my wedding. And after that, a second completely surprise, unannounced drop-in visit to the home. I seriously do not agree with that philosophy and after this many years of marriage I resist it successfully. I will call first if it happens again, and it will happen again.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:34 pm

Oh my God, I am the stupidest person in the world. 17.5 years later it FINALLY dawns on me that the reason he insisted on my not calling first is because he wanted me to steal the picture and not warn you we were coming first so that you would hide it. Holy shit, I cannot believe I never realized that before. I am the most naive, gullible person on earth. Seriously. I always assume the best motives from people and it is so stupid.

:brickwall:
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:49 am

Never met him in the flesh. First met him online when I signed up for the AnimalBall forums in order to provide a playtest review of an adventure that Caz wrote and ran us through. I think that was sometime in 2002 or 2003, before my son was born and before I started traveling for work, back when I actually had time for regular face-to-face gaming.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:18 am

2008? Animalcast had been going a short while and Mike and Kyle were pimping it hard all over the place. Often their methodology was to be somewhat rude and insulting to their potential target audience. Many of the forums I visited had either closed, drifted into lameness, or I had gotten sick of. I hung out on therpgsite some at the time. There were some good posters back then. But it was also out of stubbornness as I was part of the cohort that predated rpgpundit on the site. I found it funny when Mike and Kyle took jabs at pundit. I tried their podcast and liked it and started checking out the forum.

I started the day before Mimekiller who has a much better origin story - hopefully he'll come by and tell it.

I met Mike (and Eliahad and DMDarcs!) for the first time in person just last Fall and Gencon. All of them had such a nerdy magnificence that it's hard to look directly at them.
Last edited by Stan on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaster
Happy Medium

Postby TheMaster » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:03 am

Haven't met in person, but met on FML a few months ago. We quickly became the best friends in the world... until about a week ago (my contract ran out)
Citizens of Earth, rejoice. Your Lord and Master stands on high.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:20 pm

I met him in person this past summer at Gen Con.

As for when I met him virtually, that would be when I joined the Animalball forums in order to play in a PBP Star Wars game that Stan (then known as Nicephorus) was running. I stuck around... (I don't recall the year...)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:28 pm

I met him last summer at an airport. He took me to lunch at a fast-food restaurant. I can't remember what it was. Something like an Arby's. Roy Rogers? No, that's not right either. Regardless, I had to buy my own lunch. He brought one of his kids along. He didn't even drive himself, he got a friend to drive instead. Worst first date ever.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:25 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Met him in a hotel lobby...

Well, you know how the song goes.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 am

Regretably never in the flesh, but I started listening to podcasts, and the "RPG Podcasts" podcast had a feed of several different ones. I first heard Mike's dulcet tones on episode number 50 and thus began my fascination with Nerd Pride Radio and I have been a fan ever since. :D
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”