Elevation Maps

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Elevation Maps

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:36 am

Hey- I don't know anything about elevation maps, but are they all based on a constant sea level that was established a long time ago? So do we have to redo or relabel all those maps when the sea levels change?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Elevation Maps

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:48 am

One would think so. But since sea level (or Mean Sea Level) varies by place and by sea, and since we haven't had any globally accurate way to measure sea levels in a way that could be consistent from place to place until the last few decades, I don't know how precise most maps are in the first place, and the sea levels have probably risen less than 4 inches since the space age and information age gave us the capacity to get correct numbers. But yeah, eventually, I suppose. (Anything accurate in the above statements came from Wikipedia).

Although, as a mental exercise, I wonder how far sea levels would have to rise for most local elevation maps to no longer be useful for most practical purposes. I assume they're mostly used for relative differences in elevation, and those won't change with sea levels.

Short version: I have no idea.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:57 am

I think they're used very precisely in survey maps and for purposes like that. I suppose if you're laying a pipeline (heh, heh) you need it to be accurate-- but they probably go out and get their own elevations prior to construction.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:04 am

Right. But my point is that if I'm laying pipe all the way across Nebraska (you're right, that works well), does it matter so much that the elevations are off by 2.7 inches if they're ALL off by 2.7 inches? It's the relative elevations that matter more than an absolute measure above sea level.

Although I imagine it's probably moot as I would guess that if it's important, they're using up-to-date computer generated maps based on the latest satellite data... or whatever it is those fancy engineering types use.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Elle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:08 am

Well, you need some kind of vertical datum as reference point, and that could be a mean sea level (which is like Mike says, I think) or it could be some sort of geodetic datum. And these can be converted into one another in local areas. I know there is a North American standard reference point but not sure how global elevations are determined for comparison purposes. Kyle I am sure you know more about GPS than I do and there's a standard on which it's coordinates will be based that E.g. the military uses, but that can be "off" if some other standard is being used.

My dad knows all about this kind of thing I guess. For purposes of measurement the earth can be conceptualized as a geoid with its surface in equilibrium and there are different modes of doing that. I bet Peter has a detailed answer to this one. Autocorrect has been an active hindrance in the writing of this post.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:27 pm

If you're laying pipe all across Nebraska, I hope you are doing it safely! Although, if you are off by 2.7 inches, I suppose you have nothing to worry about. Wait ... are we still talking about elevation maps??
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:34 pm

It is true that rural red state Nebraska stopped the darned Keystone XL pipeline. And birthed me into the world, so...
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Seriously. It can be difficult when the 'size matters' cultural message is all about wanting things bigger, but in reality that's not always comfortable or desirable for the job at hand.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 pm

The old Keystone pipeline has leaked a big ol' leak all over someone's land. This is why they don't want it near the water, people. This is why landowners shouldn't be forced to bend over for a foreign private company. What the brick do sovereignty and property rights even MEAN when you own land and have to let something like this be put on it against your will? Also: file under Hypocrisy. Unless you're against this, and btw also against the Kelo v. New London travesty, please do not bother calling yourself a traditional conservative or libertarian. Just shut up and say "I'm a grifter who wants to take whatever I can grab and let others plunder as well."
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Now I know why that 2.7 inches is pretty frigging important.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Nerd Talk”