How do you consume music?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

How do you consume music?

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Still have all your cassette tapes? Using YouTube as a music video service? Live bands only?

I did tapes in high school. CDs through the 90s. And I've been on iTunes for ages (converted all my CDs to mp3s). But now that I finally have unlimited data on my phone, I've just started compiling playlists on Spotify in the last week. I really dig it. Just using the free service with ads for right now. We'll see how it goes.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How do you consume music?

Postby mimekiller » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Mostly spotify, I dump all songs i enjoy in one mega playlist, I listen when I'm driving, cooking, or taking a shower. if I get tired of a song I just click that button that makes it go away forever. It's simple way to enjoy music but It works for me.

Oh and I also just use Spotify for free, the commercials don't really bug me and I need another 9.99 monthly service fee like I need a hole in my head.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Agreed. I'm tempted by the Spotify+Hulu bundle for 12.99, but it doesn't bundle with the family plan, so... not so much.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 pm

yea I mean every now and again they throw me a bone and give me 3 months for .99 cents, I will do that...Its a good deal and all with the libary of music they have but I already pay for

Hulu+HBO
Netflix
Amazon Prime
WWE Network
Gamefly

so I'm good on digital subs haha
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm

Mostly radio. I don't drive my own vehicle, so my CDs are just wasted right now.

We did have a bluetoof speaker for about two weeks before either geeked out. It was nice to jam out to 80s pop.

Especially my girl Bobby Taylor
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Mostly reel-to-reel and vinyl when I was a kid (I think dad's reel-to-reel still works) and then we made the jump to CDs. I had a few cassette tapes which were definitely big when I was a kid (I was born in 81), but my family pretty much skipped a generation of media. Now it's almost exclusively Pandora, a smidgen of Spotify, and that's about it. Rarely do I listen to the radio and if it's on, chances are it's NPR or MPR.

Man, I miss dad's reel-to-reel.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 am

for the last 2 years it has been 99% iTunes with a few tracks from independent musicians on bandcamp and other places , but before that I bought them on Amazon or through a 3rd party mp3 site, downloaded them to a flash drive, put them on my laptop, then transferred them to my ipod.

I used to use a plash drive player that played through the car's stereo, but there was always a lot of static....that is how I first got into podcasts.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:58 am

Oh Hi!

CDs are for me what cassettes were in the 90s: I buy only albums that I know are great, in most cases, greatest hits or classics. Stuff I can throw on in the car and not worry about skipping tracks or whatever.

I get the majority of my music via streaming now. Here's my checklist:
1. Amazon Music - comes with Prime, you have this, a great collection, though doesn't have everything, and tends to miss the new releases (though not all the time). When I deep dive into an artist or a best-of list, usually half of the albums I can find here. I check if an album is available here first. I can download onto my phone, which is key for me.
2. Youtube Music - improved greatly in the last few months, their collection has rivaled Spotify. Their commercials are less irritating (and, like youtube, often short and/or skippable after a few seconds). Also the free version on the phone plays albums in the correct track order (Spotify free plays on the phone an album in random order, often with related tracks from other artists). Only detriments to the free version is the commercials and I have to keep the phone "on" and the app opened to listen. My preferred listen while on the computer.
3. Spotify - has the best collection. Finding songs or albums are easiest here.

As for subscribing:
1. Amazon Unlimited is only $9/mo on top of Prime. If you don't have Prime, don't bother. I have done a "free month" and "three months for 99 cents" deals.
2. Youtube Music - $10/mo. I also did a "three months for 99 cents" deal, that just ran out.
3. Spotify Premium - $10/mo, though it seems to give me a "free month" deal every year.
4. Tidal -- going to try this out in the next month.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:27 am

Mostly the radio, since I spend excessive time driving myself and others around and that's the easiest way to have music in the car. When I'm at home, my husband bought me a pair of speakers that hook up to my phone, so I can play my music or put on a Pandora station, etc. I really like this but sadly it takes a moment to connect the whole system up, and sometimes I'm too rushed even to bother, like at mealtimes. Trying to get my youngest kid to be in charge of it so that it will always happen. For music on CD or radio at home I like the traditional set up with the stereo.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 am

Oh and also Spotify works really well streaming on my PS4 and has a lot of bedroom naked wrestling playlists that are easy to turn on during that special time haha
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 am

Growing up, I had a few vinyl records, and lots of tapes. During college and early married life, it was CDs. Lately, it's mostly satellite radio in the vehicles and iTunes for individual songs and albums, with the very rare CD thrown in (which usually gets copied into iTunes).
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:30 am

Oh yeah, I forgot my few years with Sirius XM.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:59 am

I am thinking of going back to the mp3 format on a manually loaded device and away from itunes. mp3 players are cheap and easy to use without the need for special players or formatting...also some music I want isn't on iTunes :horrified:
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”