Words from events in culture

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Words from events in culture

Postby Zen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:56 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Re: Words from events in culture

Postby akiva » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:59 am

Adding -gate to any major scandal name.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:00 am

That's interesting. I think Bork is also a verb that has something to do with Cooking or perhaps preparing things to be Cooked, according to the Muppet Show. I know we use regular examples of such cultural-event words but I can't remember off the top of my head what they are. Will have to add here.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:01 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:00 pm

You should listen to Slate's Lexicon Valley podcast. You will no longer think our language is screwed up. It's always evolving, always assimilating. Less Bork, more Borg. hehe.

I've enjoyed the addition of "Meh" to culture, thanks to Internet culture, via The Simpsons writers who coined it, via the Yiddish word "Feh" meaning yuck.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Going postal.

My son just used the phrase today and then said, "I wonder why they call it that."
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:37 am

Groundhog Day. You can thank Bill Murray for that one.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Nerd Talk”