Money for college

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
donkey Hotay
Pwned Noob
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Money for college

Postby donkey Hotay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:42 am

I'm attending school again working on my bachelors degree through Bellevue University. The first time I went to college it was $114 a credit hour, now it is $375 a credit hour and it is online. I'm trying to do it without taking out a loan. If I can get a grant that would be nice, but otherwise it is coming out of my pocket. I found I qualify for a grant but, I have not put in my application yet. Because I don't like where the money is coming from, but it is money that would help and money has no conscience.

So should I put in for it? I may not get it but if I do I'll feel scummy about it.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Money for college

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:54 am

Let me guess...

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:57 am

Yes.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:54 am

That really depends on the source of the money and whether there are any strings attached. If it's from the KKK and they expect you to join in order to get the grant, then don't do it. If it's from the NRA (which we'll say you're opposed to) and you qualify because you're uncle's a member, but there's no need for you to join or support their cause, then I'd say go ahead and take the money. Heck, you could even see it as you using that money means the money cannot be used for some other purpose for that organization against which you are opposed.

It's really going to be judgement call on your part. If you think you would just end up beating yourself up down the road if you take the money, then perhaps you're better off skipping it and either paying your own way or searching for other sources of money.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
donkey Hotay
Pwned Noob

Postby donkey Hotay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:49 pm

Wow you were so close with the KKK thing. It is through Breitbart so all I have to be is White Male ans Straight. Yes I qualify Mike shut up.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:00 pm

I probably/might/wouldn't, but you should totally do it. We get money from awful people all day long. As long as there are no strings attached.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:03 pm

As long as there are no horrible strings attached take every cent of their money you can lay hands on
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:17 pm

Five years and I need to start thinking about higher education for the guys. Egads.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:43 am

I'm there already. The oldest is on his second year and has 1 more year to go after that. Thankfully, he's planning to graduate in 3 years. But right after that, the second child starts, and right after she graduates (we told all of them we're only paying for 4 years of in-state tuition & room/board to UW-Madison; if they go somewhere more expensive or go longer than 4 years, they have to pay for the difference), the third child starts. So we're looking at about 9 more straight years of paying college tuition and housing.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:09 am

Thinking about this subject practically puts me into a cold sweat. We only have a few years to prepare for The Beginning and then it goes on, presumably, for at least a dozen more years. The problem here is that I have Ideas about what is good for people and they turn out to be extraordinarily expensive ideas. However, we have been preparing for it a long time now. We bought a bargain-priced house we can afford to live in and hopefully will want to live in for the next few decades, if everything goes well. This permits skimming anything extra off the top to dump into college savings. If any of our kids decides to go to state schools or can get any type of scholarship to college or grad/professional school that's all to the good, but we have communicated the firm expectation that college is not good enough unless you have a specific career marked out for which a Bachelor's degree or something like an Electrician's degree is, technically, good enough. It would be nice if they were able to get some of the extra years of school paid for, but since that often doesn't happen and we'll be cruising into this place after years of Trumpism and state-level GOP action decimates educational funding, I'm expecting to pay. Could be hundreds of thousands; it's very scary honestly. But this is one of those things I believe in going to the mat for, however literally that turns out.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Ok, I say you take the money, and this is why

Option 1. Take the money
- Your financial stability increases
- Evil org fiances decrease
- Your guilt increases

If your guilt overwhelms any financial benefit either:
Option 1a. live with your guilt
Option 1b. donate the money to those less fortunate (your financial stability returns to original level, your guilt decreases, evil org finances remain decreased)

Option 2. Don't take the money
- Financial stability stays the same
- Your guilt stays the same, or decreases due to your strong moral stand
- Evil org finances stay the same, and are free to spend their money elsewhere.

Get yourself the money. With it, educate yourself or help someone else. Either way it'll be better than what they would do with it.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:47 pm

I wish it were so simple. Although, even before I thought through the realities of it, I was still rejecting it. For me, it is not hypothetical. I have two sons in college who qualify.

But it's money from Brietbart and Milo Yiannopolis. All you have to do to qualify for $2,500 is be white, male, and straight and be going to college. Can't do it. Cant.

But then I thought about it more. Do my kids want their names in alt-right literature as proud recipients of this grant? Do they want Milo's people following up on their academic and career progress and stalking them on social media looking for "success stories" they can crow about? Do my kids want to suffer the potential consequences when the alt-right trolls find out that a couple of flaming, liberal, Trump-hating cuck's took their money?

I mean, I was saying no anyway, but the more I thought about it, the more it became hell-no.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm on the "take it" side, trolls notwithstanding.
They'll just use it for real evil if you leave it in their hands.
Organizations spend lots following up on 'donors' etc, and one way to troll an organization you don't care for is to give them a small amount, once. They spend way more than that going forward trying to get more, mailings, calls, etc, are small individually but add up. It costs nothing to ignore them. You might feel bad about the extra recycling if you want to.
As far as listing on their site, whatever, IF it ever comes up, they can a) blame Dad (and when the group calls you you can tell them, as I told Mr LaPierre exactly what I thought of him) b) explain how that was pre-education and they are such smarter folks now, or anything like that.
Getting the education is such a good investment. Being in debt now is going to have worse and worse consequences.
Think of it this way: if the money was coming from the government, and you disagreed with how it was run, you'd take it and educate the kid how to properly run it.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 am

The only reason not to accept this grant is moral grounds, otherwise it would be foolish not to accept fiduciary stipends when the occasion presents itself. However if you would feel guilty or convicted about it, then stand firm on your beliefs and "Let that be your battle" and no one can ever take that away from you.

There are a few grants without any strings (Pell Grant, etc).

There was even an app on "Shark Tank" that would find scholarships for you. => It is $2.99

Best wishes in your education endeavors
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 am

I'm not certain exactly what the "strings attached" are yet. At first it didn't sound like any specific strings were attached and I thought you were talking about a scholarship from your university, so it would not have been legal for them literally to restrict it to white men (or black women) even if that's who usually wins it or what the donor wants. If it is specifically funded by Breitbart or this Milo guy, then do you have to write or say something publicly endorsing their ideology? If so, that's not just a string attached - that's a whole lifetime rope available on the internet to your employers, friends, and family unless you actually agree with them. I'd be afraid to be personally associated with this Milo guy because one of his supporters recently shot someone with a gun in the middle of a political protest and it's not really clear what was going on there. Now, if the Koch brothers are writing scholarship checks or something, cash yours and go forth into the world with clean conscience.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah, it's Milo himself at the forefront of this.

I understand Bill's take on it, and it's very much a paladin thing to do: Take the money because you are technically legally entitled to do so, but also because it causes harm to a group that it actively evil AND gives you a platform to take a stand against them.

On the other hand, if a bunch of Milo supporters were able to find a way that they technically qualified for some diversity scholarship intended to assist primarily members of the LGBTQ community and people of color, but they take the money as a bunch of bigoted, hateful, white males and then brag about it and how they are using the enemy's money against them... the left would be rightfully horrified and outraged. So is using the exact same tactic (subverting the intended goals of this money) somehow justified if I do it, because my goals are good and noble? Or do we feel some obligation to be better than that, because we're the good guys?
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Self-respect is the gift only you can give to yourself.
Taking the high road is something that IMO is much more satisfying further down life's road.

At least you have done your homework and you know what you are dealing with.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Why does Milo care if the person is straight?

Oh, wait, it's because he's the biggest troll in the world, right?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm

What do you have to do to get the money? That part is still not clear to me. I feel like there must be something I'm missing here, like this is not a "normal" scholarship at all.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”