Consent to Searches

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Consent to Searches

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Having a hard time with this question. Husband and I disagree on both prongs of it. Now they're stopping passengers exiting domestic flights and demanding to see ID, for the purpose of hunting down deportees who might be aboard. (This along with refusing entry to teachers from Britain, France, etc. including long term U.S. residents who don't otherwise fall within the travel ban. If I knew any teachers traveling out of the country, I'd be concerned they might not be let back in. Maybe they've gotta show their Twitter page?)

Anyway, I think those searches should be illegal but I'd probably submit to one out of concern for my family. My husband thinks those searches might be OK in some contexts, like an airport, but he probably wouldn't consent to it on principle. So there you are. Puzzlement. What would you do?
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Re: Consent to Searches

Postby Stan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:42 pm

I think I'm going to start keeping my ID in my underwear when I travel. That way it's far less likely to get stolen. It might get a bit sweaty on long trips and officials might find this arrangement uncomfortable. But we all have to buckle down in these tough times.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:02 pm

I'm with you. Illegal, but I'm also not in the mood to be detained for 13 hours on principle. SHOULD resist, but don't know that I would.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Luckily some of the people best equipped to resist illegal searches, like journalists and law professors and such, are going to resist. It is a gift to all of us really, if they do.

Return to “Nerd Talk”