NOTHIN' BEATS ROCK: RPS Bracket Tournament

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

NOTHIN' BEATS ROCK: RPS Bracket Tournament

Postby Kyle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:56 pm

In honor of March Madness and every geek's love for brackets- I've decided I want to run a Rock Paper Scissors tournament next week. Here's the rules:

1. Post up here and tell me you want to participate. Participation only requires that, at least once a day (excluding weekends) you can check the boards and make a move.

2. Come up with a kick-ass name for your Rock Paper Scissors team, and post them here.

3. Once we have all our competitors, I will determine the type of bracket (it depends on how many competitors we get), randomize the participants, then post up the bracket.

4. Each match will have its own thread (Mike- if we have enough interest, maybe we should have a separate, temporary section just for the tournament). The thread will announce the participants and include any trash talk that was given to me in advance by the players.

5. The players will then send me their moves via private message. The players may optionally send me additional trash talk.

6. I will post the results. In the event that one person wins, the thread will be closed down and that participant will move on in the brackets. In the event of a tie, I will post the results and the players repeat the process of private messaging their moves.

7. Participants can post up their own trash talk in their threads. Bystanders can do the same. The more audience participation- the better.

8. The match closes when I have received moves from both participants- NOT when I post the results. This means that participants can change their move even if they've submitted them, but once both participant's have submitted their moves, the round is closed automatically using the two most recent moves of each participant. Any additional changes after closure will be ignored.

9. Each round will only begin when each of the matches in the previous round have resolved. This may result in a delay for some people if there's a game that's throwing ties for a while- but in those instances, I encourage people to post up as bystanders and trash talk both competitors.

10. Trash talk is not required. But it is encouraged. HOWEVER let's keep it light people- we're all trying to have fun. So no going after Mike's stutter or Hauze's elephantiasis of the hemorrhoid.

11. This is the most important rule. You can only choose three moves: Rock Paper or Scissors. Rock beats Scissors. Scissors beats Paper. Paper beats Rock. THERE ARE NO OTHER MOVES LIKE SPOCK OR GUN OR DYNAMITE Seriously. If you throw Lizard, I will murder you with a murder bucket.

That's it. In reality, it's as easy as yall checking once a day and sending me your moves. If yall go faster, the tournament will go faster. Who's in?

PARTICIPANTS:
Papyrus (Pdyx)
El Grapidoro (Mike)
Paper-Pushing Rock Cutters (Zen)
Janken King (buckett)
Rock of Ages! (Tahlvin)
Zbungrub's Revenge (Pete)
Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Inc. (Zombie)
Paper Dragon (Stan)

PRIZES:
I figure that the third place finisher is going to have a pretty chapped ass after losing out. So they get this, a half-full bottle of Lubriderm:

The second place finisher gets this fine South Padre Island swiss army knife, with: knife; saw, file, another file, another thing that might be a file or might just be a thick piece of metal, corkscrew, phillips head screw driver, a bottle opener, a different type of bottle opener, scissors and another type of file:

And finally, the piece of resistance (it's French). The winner gets my red swingline stapler, which is still in perfect working order and amazing condition. An additional box of staples will be provided as well:

I will be using challonge.com to randomly seed and manage the bracket. In the event that there are an odd number of participants, a participant may get a "bye" on the first set of games. If that happens, that person will be determined randomly by challonge.com.
Last edited by Kyle on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: NOTHIN' BEATS ROCK: RPS Bracket Tournament

Postby Kyle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Oh and there are prizes! I'll edit the first post to include that.
Pdyx
Pastry Artisan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Pdyx » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:00 pm

In.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm in!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 am

In like flint...
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:13 am

Easy victory.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 am

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 am

As the 1991 Big Ten RPS Champion, I might as well throw my hat in the ring.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 am

Sure

Last edited by poorpete on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:51 am

You're old, Tahlvin. Your skills are outdated. The sport moved beyond you while you weren't looking, and there's no amount of training that's going to get you ready for this fight.
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 am

Accurate portrayal of me vs Mike in the final (I'm the Janken Queen):

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 am

Crybaby.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:50 am

Okay! We have six folks- which is enough-- BUT LET'S GET MORE! If anyone else is interested, just sign up. Registration closes by the end of the day Friday- BUT if you want to join on Saturday and I haven't already made the brackets- then you can be in. Either way- we'll start the tournament next Monday.

Team names! It's not clear to me who is trash talking and who is making their team name (I'm looking specifically at you buckett). So let's get some team names from everyone.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Zbungrub's Revenge
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Rock of Ages!
I'm waiting for someone to use "Zarongel!"
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Zombie is also in- so that makes seven.

I'm thinking of going with a double elimination bracket. Any thoughts on that?
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm

In!

Get Buckett to do it too. I bet he would to round it at 8.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:02 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “The Gaming Table”