What is the latest board game, card game video game, or role playing game you have played and how was it?

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What is the latest board game, card game video game, or role playing game you have played and how was it?

Postby Ronster » Tue May 31, 2016 1:06 pm

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What is the latest board game, card game video game, or role playing game you have played and how was it?

Postby Elle » Tue May 31, 2016 7:08 pm

Too bad you cannot play with my husband; he loves that game and has never lost, so he clearly needs a better level of competition to make it fun. I tried imitating his own methods against him and that was almost worse. I have no answers.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:13 am

I fired up Relic's SPACE MARINE again. Stomping on Orks is great fun. I forgot how much heat the newer xbox 360's generate. It was like toaster hot.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Irish Fan
Infrared Drone

Postby Irish Fan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:41 am

We played a few hands of a card game called Quiddler..I lost badly...

We started to play Lewis & Clark, but time was an issue and that game's instructions were complex. :(
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:04 pm

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+!

It's not PAC-MAN as it was all those years ago. The goal here is to get the most points in a set time-limit, or to complete a time trial in the fastest time. But somehow, to me, it stays true to everything that Pacman was and should be.

The courses start slowly, often with only a small line of dots, but as you gain points you begin to pick up speed until you're flying through the course. As you complete sections of the map, new sections are created that create a winding path that you will quickly learn. Each course has about 10 - 15 different shapes that sometimes change based on your time through the pattern.

There are 'also sleeping' ghosts that will start to chase you, and as you meet certain score checkpoints the traditional 4 ghosts will also enter the course, creating quite the heart palpitations as one of them is suddenly in your well thought out path. Luckily if things get heated you have the option to set off a bomb, reducing your speed slightly, but sending all the ghosts back to the center starting point.

Dislike: Bullet time. If you get close to a ghost that's going to eat you, you enter this bullet time mode where everything slows down. It makes sense for the game, but I feel as if this is the one element that detracts from the original PACMAN feel. Don't get me wrong, it is incredibly useful, but I feel it detracts from the feel of the game in a way the other new/changed elements don't.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:27 am

I logged into my Steam account for the first time in maybe 6 months and realized that I actually own Civilization 5. I LOVE the Civ games, going all the way back to Civilization. I missed out on Civ 4 somehow, but Civ 5 is really pretty fun, and I've been enjoying it.
Reika
Pastry Artisan

Postby Reika » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks to the Steam Summer Sale, I got the new Doom. This is the Doom I've always wanted since the first two games.

So much glorious bloodshed.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Ohnoes! I am keeping my wallet safe from the Sale again this year.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 am

Above and Below. A board game of exploration and collecting resources with a storytelling element thrown in. Well balanced and fun. I'd never even heard of it before I played.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Fluxx!

Simple, fast, awesome! I've got the whole troop hooked now.

Munchkin is next.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:33 pm

Resistor
Guillotine
Thems Fightin Words
Fluxx
Qwirkle
Zombie Dice
Settlers of Catan

It was an awesome night.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:37 am

Lord of the Rings RISK...my kids' favorite...it is the monopoly of RISK games...which tom me is a bad thing.

THe game lasted 3 hours Sunday...and was left out on the table to be played Monday for another 1 1/2 hours...finally put it away Tuesday...
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Board Game: Kobolds! One of the greatest games never mass produced! I really hope he does a Kickstarter for it this year!

Card Game: Exploding Kittens!
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:07 pm

I have heard of this Kobolds thing - didn't they have it last year at GenCon?
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:16 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:07 pm

Same answer as Zen, but also with an honorable mention for Secret Hitler.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

I played a D&D Adventurers League Campaign and 2 Pathfinder Society ones at Dragoncon this year. I like Pathfinder a lot better, but the GMs make all the difference. I won two tokens and was awarded a medal/metal token that was worth 5 bucks in the vendor hall...I had a load of fun playing a level 1 pre-gen half-orc warpriest... :D
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Awesome! I'm so happy for you that you had a good experience.

I'll tell you, in my experience, the group you play with (and the gamemaster in particular) really does make all the difference in the world. A decent group of players can make up for weak or bad mechanics. Awesome mechanics can never fix a shitty GM.

I always worry when I playtest stuff I've designed if the great gameplay is just because we're a great group who communicate well or if it really is as good a game as I think it is.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:47 pm

My daughter bought me CITADELS and I love it so much I have sleeved all the cards (It is a card game)...Now I might look into some play mats just to keep down the wear on my games that have cards.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “The Gaming Table”