Die Hard Play by Post Game

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Die Hard Play by Post Game

Postby Kyle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Edit: Players So Far
Mike
Tahlvin
Pdyx
buckett
Zombie
Zen
Ronster
Caz
The Master
Stan (Provisional)

Okay, so in the spirit of my last game: , I'm going to start a new game in mid-January. It will be based on the first Die Hard movie. It will take place entirely in the Nakatomi office building. The players will be the unnamed office workers that Hans Gruber and his crew take hostage. It will be played as pathfinder-light (see the Homeroom rules and gameplay for example), but you don't need to know the rules to play.

The game will have notable NPCs such as: Hans Gruber; John McClane; the german terrorist crew; Bubbie; etc. The players cannot be any of the named, featured or speaking characters from the movie-- you must be a faceless person in the background.

The game will begin much like the movie. You will be taken hostage. You will be forced into a room. You will get to see Hans Gruber in person. But from there it may or may not follow the movie. It kind of depends on what you all do. Do you form an uprising and try to overthrow Gruber? Maybe-- that's an allowed possibility. Do you discover that McClane is out there and try to help him? Maybe that too. Do you just act like sheep and make Bubbie jokes? Probably. Probably that one.

I can take a lot of players in this one again- like I did in Homeroom. The expectations are the same as Homeroom- be able to check in and post up (if necessary) once a day. No big pressure.

Zombie, Pdyx and buckett have already told me they're in.

Who else?
Last edited by Kyle on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Die Hard Play by Post Game

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm in.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Sure, I'll give it a go.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:09 pm

buckett
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby buckett » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm playing an ex-green beret special forces marine sniper frogman who was raised by Tibetan monks and is a double black belt master of five different martial arts and has magical chi powers, kinda like Dr. Strange, but not quite so powerful... but y'know... close. And five years ago, my wife and kids were murdered, and after a globe-spanning manhunt to track down their killers, I finally got my revenge, but it brought me no joy. The whole thing left me feeling empty, so I gave it all up for my first love: accounting. So nobody here suspects anything about my past.

Or I might play Joyce, the perpetually put-upon assistant from Human Resources.

I need to think about it.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:37 pm

What the heck, I'll give it a shot.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:48 pm

"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:12 am

count me in
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Pdyx
Pastry Artisan

Postby Pdyx » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:14 am

Is Die Hard streaming anywhere? I suppose I could google this. How important is it to be familiar with the movie? I've seen it, but it has been a good while.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:27 am

Alright! We have 8 players so far and Stan is a provisional yes.

Feel free to use this thread to flesh out characters. You can make them anything you want, just remember that you're office workers and you've all been with the company for at least 90 days (probationary employees don't get invited to the Christmas party). Just remember to post up here only what everyone will already know about you, or likely suspect (i.e., Jeremy is super anal retentive and treats his wife like the queen of england-- she's morbidly obese and hasn't been able to get out of bed for over two years). Stuff like that.

Like in homeroom, everyone's going to have a secret that I will come up with and provide to you. Unlike Homeroom, the keeping of the secret is not a gameplay element, and once play starts-- if it fits your character-- you can blab your secret to whoever you want.

As people post up information about their characters, feel free to post up how you think your character gets along with the other characters. If you feel there's an NPC that's important to your character- feel free to invent them and include them as a hostage. It's all up to y'all.

The only rule is that your character cannot be a credited or speaking character from the movie-- and you can't have a relationship with a credited or speaking character from the movie. Also- your character is not "in on" the terrorist plot, and had no prior knowledge of it or knew of the terrorists before being taken hostage. (In other words, don't make yourself Hans Gruber's dad, or the guy having an affair with Holly.) This is not to say you can't work with the terrorists (or John McClane) after the game starts- you're free to do whatever you think your character would do to survive.
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Would, say, a janitor be invited to the Christmas party? Talking a respected old-timer with a lengthy tenure here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Norma Levinson is the Vice President of Local Operations for California of the Nakatomi Corporation (a position that today would be referred to as Chief Operating Officer or somesuch). "For California" is a bit of an exaggeration as Nakatomi's California operations extend no further than the Nakatomi Plaza. She is third or perhaps fourth in the chain of command behind CEO Joseph Takagi, as well as the Vice President of Finance and (sometimes) the Vice President of International Operations.

Norma is viewed by the people under her as stern and humorless. She is not known for being forgiving or understanding. Half the people in the building think she is a shrewish battleaxe, the other half see her as harsh but fair. The only thing agreed upon is that no one relishes the idea of crossing her.

Norma's husband died over a year ago after a protracted illness. People think that she has children (and grandchildren?), but the rumor is that they are estranged from her, because she never talks about them and there are no pictures of her family anywhere in her office. In fact, the only personal pictures she keeps in her office are of two cats, and the joke is that those are just photos that came with the frames.

She is somewhere around 60 years old, thin and wiry, with salt-and-pepper hair showing far more gray than black.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Makoto Tsukimura recently transferred to the LA office from Tokyo. He is in her late twenties and has a bachelors degree in accounting from Tokyo University, having graduated with honors. He competed on national championship winning Kendo teams at both the high school and university level. He also has an MBA from UCLA. After finishing her schooling he began working for the Nakatomi Corporation in the Tokyo office. However, after a little over a year in that office he was transferred to LA. Since arriving at the LA office, he has mostly kept to herself and has a bit of a reputation for being stand-offish, though very efficient. The rumor mill has uncovered that he is related to Hideki Tsukimura, one of upper level executives from the Tokyo office. It isn't certain what their relationship is, but many people suspect that he is his daughter. There was a rumor of a threatened lawsuit for wrongful termination against the Tokyo office not too long after Makoto was transferred, but no lawsuit was ever filed. The rumor was enough to make people wonder if there was a scandal that lead to Makoto being transferred to this office.

EDIT: Changed Name

EDIT 2: Changed gender
Last edited by Zen on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to “The Gaming Table”