Jorgenfist Planning

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Jorgenfist Planning

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:32 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:49 pm

I confess I don't know the capacities of teleport or magical spider climb, but I believe we should as a whole team investigate a possible subterranean connection to the main complex. If this was a 'cowed or captured" dragon, likely there must have been some threat of a visit from headquarters, and I'd rather not conceive of flying giants just yet. What I'm saying is that I think there's a better than even chance they're physically connected. We should therefore be really careful about setting off traps and alarms.

The treasure is an undoubted bonus, and while enjoying it might cost a few days, we did hasten up here pretty quickly. I suggest that we do make a few bank runs, or purchase runs for folks who had items we perhaps couldn't entirely afford. The two giant melees we had demonstrated how much difference a point either way can make in a conflict.

Time considerations:
I don't see this as a one day or one week gametime mission. This could be long and bloody. We shouldn't be afraid to retreat and rest if we can. If the consequence is that they refill guard posts that we've picked off, it diminishes the massive numbers that we hopefully never have to face all at once. This also means that if we survive for a while, our rest periods could also include more shopping for upgrades that might take some days to acquire.

The giants likely have a timetable, if loose one, for their movements. We surmise it's been set back a bit by their loss. This gathering is clearly an invasion force of some kind. I wish I could ship a drone video to the Mayor with the caption "Meanwhile, just two days away from Magnimar..." or whatever is accurate, just to motivate him bit. At any rate, while we do have some urgency, I suspect the giants are waiting for something before they move: a specific tribe showing up, enough pieces of a weapon, a holy day (btw, did the sidhedron cults have any seasonal or calendar division related to their vices/virtues?). We have a) until it triggers outside our influence or power, b) until they find and begin to hunt us, c) until they retaliate because of something we do. We should not feel motivated to rush to our doom. Let's stroll to our doom instead.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:13 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 am

So, planning Anna's approach for next time.

Step 1: Try NOT to scorching ray Dwyn in the backside.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:11 am

Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 am

No promises :lol:

Yet another reason for Anna to steer clear of save-or-die type effects. As a player, I don't generally like them, but I really don't want to accidentally turn one of the Company into a statue.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:42 am

Hey, in the long run, if you HAVE to hit somebody's tuchus with a scorching ray, probably better to hit Dwyn than Illian or Kay... She's got more meat on her bones than we do! (Hal would work well as a meat shield as well...)
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:18 am

And it only ended up being like 11 damage or something... she can't be THAT mad, right? :oops:
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:12 pm

DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:55 pm

That was not what was meant when Anna was asked to toast the bride.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:19 pm

LOL!!!!!!! at this whole thread!

I am SO SORRY about what happened last night - at some point after that last turn where I stepped forward, my husband and three of his friends came home from their night out, woke up the oldest kid, the dog thought they were dangerous intruders and started growling and barking at them, and it was absolute mayhem for the next few hours. Then I had to work the entire day today until just now. It has been sheer nonstop craziness.

I gather that after I went incommunicado, Anna burnt a portion my butt off with a scorching ray. Well well well. With friends like these... I have a lot of HP though. I like the idea of perhaps keeping this place or the place where we made camp recently as "teleport out in a hurry" zones, from wherever we are going. I wish I could have been of more help last night. Please feel free to use me as an NPC hammer any time you need to, if that should ever happen again.

Now I have to go back to the same craziness, plus some.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:23 pm

We actually stopped at your last activation, so it'll be your turn to smack away when we play again in 2 weeks.

There were 2 of the undead spider beasts in front of you, and Anna tried to sneak a ray into each one, had a critical miss on the first and hit Dwyn for 11 points of damage, and then had a critical hit on the second one for like 38 points.

I'm glad, in a way, if the rolls were going to go that way, that they did roll that way and not the other way around :)

Hope things calm down on your end soon.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:18 pm

I WILL KILL BOTH BEASTS WIT HMY HAMMER. DOOOM DOOM DOOM TO SPIDERY BEAST.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:35 am

I feel an irrational dislike toward these little garden gnomes. I really do. Not just because of the pegasi, and the fact that they're fucking garden gnomes, but the garden is supposed to be a place where new life comes forth and happiness and good things occur. It's not supposed to be a place where angry little freaks pop out and try to kill you, it's just not. They're upsetting the natural order of things in one of the most sacred possible places, and they need to go.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:03 am

It's not irrational at all. Fighting them blows, because of their outsized attacks, dr, speed and malice. I wouldn't know about them except we didn't manage to save a single pegasus (paladins love mounts), and then they tore us up in the cave. We even had npc help, if you recall. If you're going to take a dislike to something smaller than you, these guys deserve it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:22 am

My question is, are those little Spears and hats an indication that these creatures are undead, like so many of those other things we encountered in Samos Forest, or did something even worse than them, beyond the chasm, take them out and leave the four bloody hats on sticks?

And why does Giant M need garden gnomes? But eh, whatever.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:15 pm

That's a great question. I don't think they're undead, but definitely not normal beasties. I like the idea of M having garden gnomes, but there's so much going on here I can't piece together. Wyverns, dragons, the whole mess of mixed giantkind. I know that the caps are magic but not transferable, so we should dump them, and perhaps everything else here, in the river chasm. Can they swim? no idea. Height to surface fall distance? no idea, I don't think the second one could have lived, and if the river is submerged enough there's nothing that breathes air that will escape that way. They also had iron boots. Why is anything here? Maybe there's another rune thing, deep pool or something that this place feeds on. If we find and kill another one (I'll detect evil again, but they didn't read as high as I would have expected) we'll have to search it for a brand or tattoo.

Return to “Runelords”